Joining the Dark side.

ImpulseRocket

Staff member
Local time
12:56 AM
I finally did it. I finally decided to enter the world of ebikes. Initially, I was going to build my own, and even put in an order for that $98 Kent bayside from Walmart to try and do a budget build. After pricing out everything on said build for a 48V 1500W rear hub conversion, battery, etc. the price ended up being right around $1000 because a few upgrades I wanted specifically bumped the price up a touch - mainly converting to disc brakes and a front wheel and fork set to do so easily.

Then, just out of curiosity I checked in on the prebuilt ebike I have had my eye on for a while, the Heybike Explore, and lo and behold they are having a sale for early spring! A Clearance sale of 700 off on that bike put the price down to $1,199 with a free rear basket. With a discount code (BFG100) for $100 off that made it $1.099., so I also bought a set of their saddle bags for it for 79. With free shipping to boot.

I ordered mine in Military Green.

I honestly can't wait for it to arrive. I haven't been this excited about something in a while. I know I could have built something more powerful or with a bigger battery than the Explore with the Kent, but I think this is a smarter way to get into the world of ebikes, and the price is about the same with way less work on my part.

Edit: A list of Parts Links:

Zoom HB-876E Hydraulic brake set.
Bucklos 2 piece Rotors with Adapters (203mm front, 180mm rear)
Hydraulic Brake Bleed kit with mineral oil.
5 1/2" Steering Stem Riser Gave approximately a 3 inch bar lift
Aluminum 3 bearing pedals with reflectors. These are pretty darn nice for the money!
Tannus Armor inserts with Tubes.
YLG Oversized noseless Seat for my large rear end. Waiting for delivery
Strap to Frame Bicycle Bag/Phone holder. Service as a tool kit bag.
Replacement Semi-metallic ceramic brake pads. (backups or replacement if I can't stop squeal)
Spare Brake pad cotter pins.
Bar end mirrors - These mirrors are excellent, probably some of the best ones I have bought.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I finally did it. I finally decided to enter the world of ebikes. Initially, I was going to build my own, and even put in an order for that $98 Kent bayside from Walmart to try and do a budget build. After pricing out everything on said build for a 48V 1500W rear hub conversion, battery, etc. the price ended up being right around $1000 because a few upgrades I wanted specifically bumped the price up a touch - mainly converting to disc brakes and a front wheel and fork set to do so easily.

Then, just out of curiosity I checked in on the prebuilt ebike I have had my eye on for a while, the Heybike Explore, and lo and behold they are having a sale for early spring! A Clearance sale of 700 off on that bike put the price down to $1,199 with a free rear basket. With a discount code (BFG100) for $100 off that made it $1.099., so I also bought a set of their saddle bags for it for 79. With free shipping to boot.

I ordered mine in Military Green.

I honestly can't wait for it to arrive. I haven't been this excited about something in a while. I know I could have built something more powerful or with a bigger battery than the Explore with the Kent, but I think this is a smarter way to get into the world of ebikes, and the price is about the same with way less work on my part.
Your gonna have a blast taking it off road, Have fun exploring

Your gonna have a blast taking it off road, Have fun exploring
I wanted a bike for mainly trails around here. I specifically wanted this one because of how big it is. Every person that has reviewed it has mentioned how big the frame is, and how well it fits big guys like me. It's a tank of a bike, but I can handle that weight no problem.

I was considering making it a fishing bike too. Take it to the lake with my gear, put my tackle in the basket and make a couple of rod holders with some PVC and just use it to ride around the lakes I frequent.

Joining the Dark side.​

You'll be back young Skywalker it is your destiny, I can feel it in the Force.

I doubt I will be giving up my ICE powered bicycles, but I will definitely be riding this a lot more since I can legally use it in a lot more places that I would actually like to ride since they don't allow ICE powered vehicles.

I doubt I will be giving up my ICE powered bicycles, but I will definitely be riding this a lot more since I can legally use it in a lot more places that I would actually like to ride since they don't allow ICE powered vehicles.
Tis amusing that a member of the forum once called me the very personification of Emperor Palpatine, Darth Sidious...lol...lol.
He's not here anymore though...lol.

I'm not surprised by that at all, lord Sidious.
OK, you asked for it...lol...lol...No one will just let me be Mr. Nice Guy, will they...lol...lol.

emperor-palpatine.gif

Back