My 20" springer re-visited

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by williamsk1936@yahoo.com, Jan 27, 2009.

1. I started to scuttle a 20" Schwinn with a 1-1/2 hp Briggs & Stratton model N for the Stingray front fork . I was going to put it on my 3-speed Monark but the stem and struts were too short, so back it goes. In the process of ransacking I removed the handlebar basket that held a Briggs square tank. A new demension of UGLY. In short, it looks kinda cute and with the BMX brick-shaped saddle that resembles an old Bates scrambles saddle, I can even fold enough to ride it with my bad knee. If I can find a cheap HT tank, it would be a real sweety that would be to scale with a Wheezer tank on a 26. I can mill grooves in a piece of aluminum to straddle the fork legs with a clamping piece behind and mount a caliper brake and fender tab (remember, 20' wheel,26" fork) I also discovered a set of Wald 20" chrome new fenders I had. It has an idler pulley clutch at present, but I found I had a centrifugal clutch I could use.. Since there is no provision for tensioning the front belt, I might just leave the idler to handle the job. A bit of ally grid plate to dress up the
    1" square tubing foot and motor frame and I think it will join my fleet.
    Keith Williams

2. Today I found I have a BMX alloy rim with 48 spokes. It says it is a 20 X 2.125 tire size, but a 20 X 1.75 tire is too big for it. I suppose that means a hi dollar special tire to fit it. The cones are bigger too. Will see what the bike shop has to say. I found I can mount the 26" Schwinn balloon tire fender in my HT/Schwinn with the reversed fork and Honda 50 shock/spring links. I will use a 20" fender brace to the fork pivot bolts and that will give me a uniform ~2" space to the wheel for spring action. Will just have to wing it for the front strut, as it is 'way longer than a 26 strut. Raided the shed for a good generator light and carrier for it. Tomorrow will order a HT fuel tank for the 20" and a pushbutton locking clutch for HT. Am still trying to locate my 20" chrome Wald Stingray fenders. Ever have days like that?

3. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

hi
    you should be able to find a low price 20 X 2.125 tire most anywhere
    would enjoy seeing a picture of your MB if you get a chance

your question asked
    yes -- I sure have had some days like that !!!

ride that thing

4. Shoot me your email address and I will Howevewver I am waiting for a HT tank for it and will wait. williamsk1936@yahoo.com