Noob question about pedaling

This thread has turned into all convo and no info!
Cyclists wear Lycra, a nylon-spandex blend. As underwear it helps avoid saddle sores, as outerwear it decreases aerodynamic drag.
Speed is cool. Fitness is sexy.
The fastest bikes are loaded touring tandems.
A five mile electric range might be acceptable on a hybrid. It is just a bit expensive (two motors).
I think the Sick Bike Parts Ultra Heavy Duty Freewheel could support a hybrid system where both motors are geared, if there is lateral adjustment in the electric motor mount. The exhaust would need to be modified and/or replaced to allow the electric motor to be mounted low, but if there is clearance between the exhaust and the front tyre the electric motor could be mounted in front of the exhaust header (?).
In such a system the chain connecting the jackshaft to the pedal crank could be removable without tools, making the bike pedal and electric only for the legal purposes.
The electric motor may(?) be used to start the engine through the freewheel and jackshaft system.
The standard SBP electric freewheel kit should work fine for a "stock" fixed 2 stroke(?) and electric motor used to bump start.

Last edited:
This thread has turned into all convo and no info!
Cyclists wear Lycra, a nylon-spandex blend.
As underwear it helps avoid saddle sores, as outerwear it decreases aerodynamic drag.
Speed is cool. Fitness is sexy.
And that group is refereed to as 'Spandex' regardless of the material hehehe ;-}
Heck, my little sister is a Spandex rider and completed an Iron Man event here so I respect them.

I however have no desire whatsoever to exert any effort just to get from here to there as fast as possible.
This takes on a whole new meaning when you ride in temps like this week here.

weather7-12-16.jpg

Sure it's a dry heat, but sure not anything you want to be exerting energy in outside ya know?

And that group is refereed to as 'Spandex' regardless of the material hehehe ;-}
Heck, my little sister is a Spandex rider and completed an Iron Man event here so I respect them.

I however have no desire whatsoever to exert any effort just to get from here to there as fast as possible.

weather7-12-16.jpg

Sure it's a dry heat, but sure not anything you want to be exerting energy in outside ya know?

Way to focus on the relevant part of the post, lol! :rolleyes: I would get chafed thighs just walking around in that kind of weather. Well I would without my Lycra undershorts. ;)

I have talked myself into building a geared hybrid with three chains on the right hand side now. It will look so cool and freaky. First step: buy lottery ticket. :p

weather7-12-16.jpg

That's almost egg cooking temps right there;):p

110F+ is most Zonies 'too friggen hot' zone, a car parked in the sun midday can reach 190F, not friendly to any life, but that's for another topic, this topic about pedaling I want nothing to with it in summer ;-}
Around these temps is when i would put a 54 tooth on just too keep from pedaling:p

I also live in Phoenix, and the temperature reached 119F a couple weeks ago. Several people died, including mountain bikers and hikers. I can't believe I used to work out in that heat. Now I don't even go out in it, other than from an air conditioned house to an air conditioned car. The only time I can safely ride anything is early morning, from about 4:00 AM to 7:00 AM. And the "dry heat" is pretty much over, it's monsoon season here, the humidity went way up, and will stay that way for the rest of the summer. I have worn spandex bicycle shorts as underwear, they make riding bicycles, motorcycles and scooters more comfortable. But an overweight 57 year old guy would look pretty ridiculous wearing them as outerwear. They look to feminine for guys to wear, though I do like seeing women wearing them. And they offer no protection at all. Back when I used to ride a mountain bike, I wore jeans, an MX jersey, and running shoes. I used BMX pedals. Sometimes I wore a helmet, but I was under no illusions that it would actually provide any protection.

Back