Old WC1 Cruzzer Project

I received my reworked head and cylinder back from Quenton yesterday and was very happy to get it back! I always hate waiting for things like that , but hopefully it will be worth it. I started putting it back together and had to stop when I realized I was missing a allen wrench I needed for the stud conversion kit which replaces the long studs that went all the way from the head. The hard part was getting it all back on without taking the motor off or even loosening it. I managed this by removing the piston from the connecting rod then getting the piston started into the cylinder enough to leave the hole for the wrist pin sticking out. After getting the cylinder back into place I could re- insert the wrist pin and tighten down the cylinder. The whole process took about 15 minutes and I didn't have to worry about messing up the alignment of the motor.
After putting everything back together and getting the gas flowing to the carb, she fired right up! I ran it for 5-10 seconds and shut it down right away because the bike is in my kitchen! As anxious as I am to test the bike I have to wait until tomorrow as I work nights and finished this all this morning. I want to make sure I have everything back together correctly!
I haven't taken any photos yet, but the cylinder and head look very nice. It was painted black by Quenton. I didn't receive any info with this, but assume there is nothing to break in? I will post some pics tomorrow after I've tested the bike.
Lillback44

Well my test ride didn't go as planned. The bike started right up but I had the same power loss that I had before I had the cylinder reworked. I was going to have the work done anyway, but now I knew for sure I had a problem with the carb. I called Quenton for some advice and he reminded me I needed to adjust the valves. He also recommended I advance the cam if it has not been done already.
I adjusted the valves, .009 for the exhaust and .007 for the intake. I also tore the carb apart and cleaned it thoroughly. I decided not to advance the cam at this time because before my power loss the bike was running perfectly and may have been done by a previous owner. I also don't have a extra side cover gasket if needed.
After getting it all back together she fired right up, so I was ready for a midnight test ride! The bike ran really good and yesterday I was able to tune it up a little bit and got up to about 30 mph. I think it can go a bit faster. At times I felt like the motor was going faster than the bike although it was hard to tell if the belt is slipping? I'd like to know what the best belt front belt for this bike is? The old speedometer was all over the place so I put a brand new one on.
I also added a lay back seat post, and borrowed the seat and tank off my Hornet Whizzer. I've also added a new set of handlebars. The bike is now a lot more comfortable and more my style. I may make some changes this winter but for now the bike is done. I've got about $600 bucks in this bike now ( with engine upgrades) so I think I've done pretty well on this. With the work Quenton has done on the cylinder I expect this bike to last a long time.
Here's a few pics of the bike as it is now before the black painted cylinder was installed. IMG_20140921_091851.jpgIMG_20140921_091941.jpgIMG_20140921_091934.jpgIMG_20140921_091929.jpgIMG_20140921_091922.jpgIMG_20140921_091916.jpgIMG_20140921_091908.jpgIMG_20140921_091900.jpgIMG_20140921_091856.jpgIMG_20140921_091951.jpg

I received the new carb I bought off eBay yesterday and put it on this morning after work. I wasn't sure if this carb was going to work or not but I decided to take a chance on it. It's a Keihin PTF 16mm carburetor. This appeared to be the exact model that Joe Lin is selling on eBay for $46 dollars w/shipping. The one I purchased was $34 and ships from the US. The one from Taiwan would take 2-3 weeks to get and because Joe Lin is selling it, doesn't necessarily mean that it's the correct one. Good luck getting your money back if it don't fit. With some eBay bucks I used, I ended up paying $25 bucks.
One of my pet peeves is paying ridiculous prices for Schwinn and Whizzer parts especially when they are reproduction parts! One guy is asking $50 for a spark plug ignition coil wire because it's in whizzer packaging. News Flash: It's still cheap Taiwanese garbage! Half a dozen scooter parts dealers sell that same coil wire for $6.99 on eBay. Actually it's probably made in China. The US isn't the only country that ships it's manufacturing to China!
Anyways the carb fit and works as it should. My main concern was the left sided choke lever and how that would work from that side, but it was not a problem. I took the bike out this morning and tuned it in. The engine is running as strong as ever and I'm convinced now that one or both of my belts are slipping. I already have a new rear belt so I guess I will start with that. It's a ax-62, and if that doesn't tighten up enough I may add a half link to the chain. Half links can be had at any Do it best hardware for 2-3 bucks or your local bike shop.
Here are a few pics of the new Keihin PTF 16mm carburetor and re-worked and painted head by Quenton. I'm going to need some polishing tips from Mason Man to get the motor looking like his!new carb.jpgIMG_20141021_111737.jpgIMG_20141021_111747.jpgIMG_20141021_111821.jpgIMG_20141021_111827.jpgIMG_20141021_111831.jpg

Back