Q-Matic drive sytem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi arceeguy,

Less than 500,000 units produced. LOL

We are in production run #4. We didn't use serial numbers on previous production runs. The serial number on the last assembled drive [today] was 4001132.
I know there are boxes with hundreds of bearings, bearing carrier brackets, idler arms, plates, idlers, and pulleys in the stock room. There are rolls of HD #41 chain, boxes of MaxTorque clutches, belt guards, belts, chain sprockets, etc. just waiting to be assembled and shipped.

We are just a little behind schedule [2 days] because a couple of our suppliers didn't keep up the pace. We receive parts every day and still managed to run low on few items.

Our warranty claim on the actual drive is limited to a single replacement pulley. The HS motor warranties have been limited to 2 rope starters, and one carburetor float. We supplied a few test belts to certain dealers for "stress" testing, and replaced one belt to a dealer on the West coast.

What can I say! Sure is nice to answer the phone and accept more orders as opposed making excuses for an inferior product.

We just can't be more thrilled with our results so far. I guess all the tesing and the many proto-types we assemblied payed off.

Hope this answered your questions,

Have fun,

Hi andyszyd,

There have been several customers post about the drive. And I am sure many more will post in the future, but remember most of the posts are asking for help and advice, not praising a working system on this and other sites.

Most Q-Matic owners are riding their bikes, not looking for repairs, upgrades, or fixes on MB sites.

Approx numbers of current production is in the numbers I gave. A clue to help might be the beginning of the serial number is a 4 [production run number] then two zeros [wishful thinking], and then the final series of numbers. Considering the first production runs weren't numbered, and most know you can't get anything made in quanities of under 100, might help you conclude the minimum [actually not correct] of each of the first 3 production runs. Add in over a dozen handmade proto-types and you could conclude that quite a few less than 500,000 have currently been assembled.

I think I can say "less than 500,000 served"

Have fun,

Quenton doesn't have to divulge production numbers if he doesn't wish to. It's a curious thing as to why you're pressuring one company to divulge certain information while not asking the same question of any others.

Thanks for bumping the post again!

BTW, we haven't replaced a single defective part for the actual Q-Matic drive, that is zero, nada, none. We did have a defective pulley on one of the Silent drives, but the dealer replaced it and refused to let us warranty it [said it was so minor he didn't want to turn in a warranty], so guess it doesn't count as a warranty expense.
The figure of .01% pertains to mailing costs for uprgraded test parts, so please don't lose any sleep our %.

And since our business is so important to you, I will also tell you we did replace a float in one of our kits under warranty, guess that takes the HS motor off your wish list.

Have fun,

Last edited:
Please take this into consideration. This is the vendor area, and if a vendor is trying to promote his product in this area, it is his right to do so. You may not see eye-to-eye with the way the vendor is promoting his wares, and that is your perogative. But to beat a dead horse about it is not likely to accomplish anything productive.
You talk about the lack of posts from people with Q-Matics. Lets look at some facts. Looking back at the information in several threads, full-scale production of the Q-Matic drive really only began once all the parts producers had their ducks in a row. This wasn't until around November. It has been just the past three months for Q-Matic drives to get into consumers' hands in any numbers. Prior to that time only limited numbers made their way out, and mostly to dealers. It is also the dead of winter, with less than ideal riding conditions in most states. In fact, I read that this past week the only state that didn't have snow on the ground was Hawaii.
I'm sure those who have the units will start posting once they are able to get some miles under their belts. Heck, I've got four MBs sitting in my garage that are racking up no miles due to the weather. I'm sure I'm far from being alone. Give them time. Rome was not built in a day.

Last edited:
Kilroy - EZ Motorbike can promote their product any way they wish, and I should be free to ask EZ Motorbike some simple questions. If I can't get any straight answers from the vendor then I should be able to question that vendors motives as to why seemingly simple questions are repeatedly not answered.

You last sentence bears out my "beating a dead horse" reference. Whether he doesn't have the exact figures at hand, or just doesn't wish to divulge them means you are not likely to get an answer you are satisfied with. So why continue to beat that dead horse when you know you're not likely to get the answer you want?
:rolleyes:

Hi Bill,

Love your spirit!

How do you like the new changes to the Q-Matic? Mike & I liked the new belt so much that we ordered a bunch of them [more than one]. We were able to buy in quantity and save on shipping cost, so the price difference won't shake the financial markets. We started including them in all the Q-Matic drives shipped over the last 7 days.

We still have hundreds of belts in stock including the 4L & 3L series used on the Silent Power if needed. Our stock also includes a large supply of the A25 series used on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and recent 4th production runs of the Q-Matic.

Bad news is that I also have small quantity of the "notched" belts. Good news is we didn't buy many for testing before we found out that style of belt wouldn't hold up without cracking the inner runner between the "teeth".

The new belt is so heavy duty. Looks like they were serious when they told us it was a commercial version. More expensive but looks impressive.

During several tests we concluded the spring pressure of the "self adjusting" idler could and should be at minimum because of the belt design. It really grips with the special construction.

I wish to thank you again for doing important testing for EZM. It is folks like you that just make motorbikes great.

Have you noticed much difference in MPG with your new bike?

Have fun,

I am liking the new belt a lot :)
I am still running mine with no tensioner ;)
it grabs nicely, and combined with the 72tooth sprocket from Jim, seems to the perfect combo of low-end torque, and top-end speed (I can do 25 all day long without making the engine scream)
I also think running with no tensioner helps the engine 'spin-up' faster !!! (no tension on the driveshaft)

I thought going to the 72 would drop my top speed and mileage substantially, but that doesn't seem to be the case...
I can still get almost 30 (29.8) and mileage is around 170-175mpg...( not bad for a tank of a bike ;))

ps...I would like to thank everyone for the animosity towards EZM,,,
someone was curious and had to come out to my place to see what the fuss was all about...
(the words used were 'childish' and 'immature' I believe !!!)
I think he liked my bike and his little test ride :)
thanks for driving out to my place Steve (2dawgs), I hope you enjoyed our meeting as much as I did :) (could you please send me the pic I took of you on the stretch ?;))

Last edited:
AZBILL,
I did see my first Q-matic on the tri-state run(Rustoray). Really nice looking unit. It did out run my fixed gear OCC. Was a clean quiet ride. I have e-mailed you a few minor questions.

Jim

Hi Quenton -

I saw the video with your drive on the sister motored bicycle site and studied the build of the snapshop provide. I am impressed. I like the idea of any shaft being supported on both ends by hefty brackets to avoid the shaft leverage forces that torque induces, thus producing failures.

How is the anticipated belt life on this drive? It seems that if the rider doesn't overly abuse this drive and burn the belt, the belt will last a long time. It doesn't look like anything else can fail via normal wear and tear for many thousands of miles.

Well, I am off to get a Harbor Freight 79 cc engine (never thought I'd say that!) and call my local EZM dealer. It is time to get ready for nice weather.

Mike J
Colorado Springs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back