Ram-Air intake.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by SlicerDicer, Jun 5, 2007.

1. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

So I built a test model out of cardboard and stuck it on the bike its sealed via duct tape "the cardboard" it mounts on the intake. I notice I can go through the full powerband/speed in a harsh headwind that would otherwise drop my speed to 10mph or slower. I will be testing it tomorrow for sure when there is going to be 40mph winds with 60 gusts! YAHOOO!! it will be insane I am being very careful checking the plug for ashing to make sure its not going lean.

I sealed the leaks in the air intake so I was able to lean out the mix now the mix is rich again..

BTW what kinda damage can come from overrich?

2. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

hows about a photo :cool:
  3. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

AYE! I will get a photo.

Here is the photo it may look crude but it seems to be working.

4. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

Cool I'll get the copy rights papers out :cool:
  5. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

Hey I am already displaying a brand its a kirkland signature dog biscuit box :shock:

EDIT: I think its officially scared everybody now :lol: :lol:
  6. That's pretty innovative!

I like it. I'm busy imagining how insanely cool that
    same setup would be if it was made out of sheet
    metal, held together by pop rivets, and painted to

Keep us posted...pics, specs, etc!
  7. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

my brain is on overdrive :cool:
  8. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

will do like I said there is no HEAVY duty front wind today but tomorrow will be a huge test with wind advisory :)

Although if I do not post after tomorrow you will know that I got hit by a tumbleweed the size of a car :shock: :shock:
  9. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

I'm thinking tig up some alumunim
  10. OldPete

OldPete Guest

At lower speeds the carb is just getting cooler air...by a bit.

At full speed it will deliver cooler air and lean the fuel just a tad because the flote bowl is not pressurized also.

If the whole carb were pressurized and the bicycle was going 70+mph, the gain might be in the lower single pecentage points.

In motorcycle testing the speeds had to be in the three figure range before any real benifit was seen. Kawi did ram air and most of the other Nipponese motorcycle builders followed suit. It all lasted several years. Now frontal air is sold as just providing cooler air for a small hp gain.

Or so I have read.

OH! I do like the yellow with black flames. Looks bumble bee-ish. Kewl! :smile:
  11. I think you may be onto something there, old boy!

Maybe this is insane, but what if you then took a
    small computer CPU cooling fan (high output, 6v!)
    and hooked it up within the ram air scoop?

Forced air injection! :evil:
  12. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

Well my plan is all about headwinds and the headwinds forcing high amounts of air in there.

The cpu fan would not add enough air pressure to really do anything. I think to really do anything you need at least .5 bar.
  13. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

I like that. I had a similar idea of "chutes" for cooling the cylinder, I may get some kind of fan set up later.
  14. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

Well when I got my plan and will get it completed once I have this tested :) I have a reason also for it. I am going to be building a frame around the bike (Tired of burning my legs) But to do so I will require proper ventilation. The idea behind the ram-air intake is that it will allow me to run not only cool air to the carb but as well will allow me to run air ducts over the motor.

I plan on doing this modify the seat to be more comfortable as in larger. Think something like this :grin:

I also have plans to install fold up footpegs so I can relax. I am sure I will need a wider crank to do what I want but my plan is to have the seat far enough back that I can stand u to pedal and sit down and have my feet on pegs.

Pegs something like this but I hope to not have to spend this much :shock:

It is all part of a larger plan that I have in mind.

ebay# 320123949617 might even be really fun :) not too large not too small.

Yeah I am crazy but it will look awesome :evil: :evil:

Factor in the trike conversion I am going to do and this is going to be one insane bike no matter if its too heavy to be useful it will look cool :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I doubt all that will change the legal status of the bike either as it will be a bicycle right?
  15. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes, I mean about the insane part. :wink: No, it won't work.
  16. Well, of course it won't work.

Not with that attitude! :p
  17. FatPete

FatPete Guest

Everone knows that forced induction works better at high attitude, it compensates for the air being less dense.
  18. I tried "turbo charging" my two stroke mini bike with a tube comming off of the cooling fan shroud. the low end was great but the faster it went the leaner the mixture got. til it just wouldn't go any faster. I think in the carburetor it pressurized the whole venturi and just didn't let the fuel come up the jet. (no more low pressure over the jet) it my have also started to hold open the reeds.
  19. Need to move massive air volume for little or nothing?....If you have a gas powered leaf blower you'd be in business....can even sync the throttle of the leaf blower to match engine requirements with a little tinkering....maybe duct a portion of the air off the blower to pressurize the fuel tank to reduce lean out conditions?
  20. jpilot

jpilot Guest

Pressurizing the fuel tank would have no effect. When the float bowl is full it's full regardless of fuel pressure.

You would have to build a pressure vessel around the entire carb to see any real benefit (like a blow-through supercharger).