Rear rack Greyhound mountain build

Yes ibdennyak, I am fimiliar with diapham fuel pumps. I have one almost identical to the pump you showed me on my 1985 Tahatsu 30 hp outboard. In fact I will put one of those pumps on there when this fuel pump quits. That is one of the other reasons I was happy you located that fuel pump. Tahatsu/Nissan quit carrying parts for the older motors. They were bullet proof and easy to fix so they made short work of them. Need to sell ":poop::poop:New motors" you know.

Just a pic of MadMaverick and his MB :cool:

Attachments

• 1stpicturesTaken 001.jpg
    1stpicturesTaken 001.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 361
I will get pics of finished throttle & elivated factory Greyhound fuel tank tomorrow. Sorry about the long delay. Had to help Dad organize next door land purchase.

Here it is. My throttle linkage at the carburater, My throttle lever at the bars. The throttle works very well BTW. The stock Greyhound gas tank mounted on the handle bars to make sure its higher than the engine/carburater. That works well also. About ready to belt it up and test ride it.:D

Attachments

• more of the same 002.jpg
    more of the same 002.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 319
  • more of the same 005.jpg
    more of the same 005.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 312
Anything new have you got her running and tearing around yet? I'd really like to know how your gearing is working for you.

Carl

Hey Carl, I am going down tomorrow to belt her up. Had to get my layback seatpost and seat all modified so it would work with the motor right below it today amugst other life junk going on. It had those springs that drop down below the rear of the seat a couple inches. This caused these seat springs to hit the motor every time the rear bike suspension compressed very much. It is a mighty comfy seat combo to let go. So I put some effort in it trying to keep from going to another seating configureation. The extented springs are mainly to give the seat that yesteryear look. So cutting them off below the seat frame souldn't effect the seats comfort.

Did my last minute tweaking and headed down to fit my motor bike up with the two V belts to make it go finally. One from the cen. clutch to the jackshaft, And one from the jackshaft to the Whizzer sheave/pulley on my rear wheel. Bottom line, Took it out for a test spin and almost couldn't believe how well it rode I just put it on the 4 inch pulley for the test ride. It worked fine with a little slippage on accelleration. But nothing worth worrying about.Brought it up to about 30 mph. Could tell there was more speed potential if a taller gear was used, and my Greyhound really isn't broke in yet. And quiet, Man, I was really impressed with how quiet it was. Muffler was a bit to close to my seat though. But I will extend the factory pipe comeing out of the motor and weld the muffler back on the end of that. Going to build a better tensioner tomorrow and try my low gear. But 9.50 to 1 will work fine with these motors IMHO. This project is well worth doing. I am glad I put a little extra effort out to make something that is a little more than the typical.

I made a better belt tensioner. I took her for a ride and this time used my low gear pully.Now remember I have both 4 inch pulley and 2 inch pulley mounted on the jackshaft. low is about 21 to 1 . It was a pretty good ratio for pulling, running dirt and such. I rode it in a semi soft sugar sand lot next door. I am 230 lbs and this MB rode my big butt around this lot without me touching the ground or turning the peddles. Again, I am impressed with the performance of this rig. I will post some pics of the whole working MB next. So you will have a better idea of what I have been ranting about.

Oh, powdersummit /Carl, to give you an update on your previous question. I have had her up to almost 40 mph so far in high gear. She scoots right along. I think I might reduce the 8 inch pulley to lets say a 7 inch (if I can find one) pulley if I were to change anything.That would be the pulley that the belt from the clutch goes to on the jackshaft. But she works just fine the way she is. But if I were to do that I know this thing would aproach 50 mph or so. Bicycles arn't real safe at those speeds though. I don't like the way they feel.

In case anybody wanted to see what makes a two speed, belt drive, full suspension, rear rack mount MB go, heres the pics. When the bike wheel belt is on the small pulley on the jack shaft the ratio is about 21 to 1. When the belt is on the larger small pulley the ratio is 9.50 to 1 as I have said before. The belt tensioner works fine for either ratio. And it was not very fussy to get working right which suprised me. It will take off from dead stop in either gear. So I just derail it by hand if I need a lower gear for any reason. If someone wanted to shift on the fly I'm sure you could fashion a front derailer to move the belt from side to side. I'm not sure if you can get much more than two ratios because belts & pulleys are wider than chain. But where theres a will theres a way. But two ratios is better than one. Heck, the best mopeds are only 2 speeds. I believe Puch made one and Tomos had a two speed also. The one cool thing is the only two stores I would need to keep my motor bike going is a Harbor Freight and a good hardwhare store and I could cross the country on this thing. No special dealer part needed here:D

Attachments

• DSC00055.jpg
    DSC00055.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC00052.jpg
    DSC00052.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 308
  • DSC00053.jpg
    DSC00053.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 304
Back