Taking chain off engine and putting it on

How long on average does it take for you guys to set up and get a motorized bike working? Do you think I can do it in two hours a day for two weeks?

On a standard frame 10 speed it took me less than an hour to bolt the engine in the frame.
Another hour to bolt the sprocket to the spokes and true the sprocket by carefully and selectively tightening the bolts.

The chain tensioner took some time to think out how I wanted to place it, say another hour.
Cables, throttle and took some juggling. Tank bolted on pretty easy. another hour.
Pipe didn't fit exactly, so give it another hour to get right with some careful bending.
So 5 hours with a standard bike frame?

With a fat tube frame everything gets more difficult, add more time.
Start and run 32:1 oil right from the beginning to avoid plug fouling and muffler plugged.
Get out and ride!

Does too little oil in the ratio damage the spark plug too as well as the cylinder and piston? How come?
There's a muffler already which comes with the kit- is it already inside the exhaust pipe?
All the holes have already been drilled for mine because I bought one already made and am just fixing- I just need to figure out how to assemble really.
Did you know loads about motorized bikes or have any techical, mechanical knowledge with your first bike you made?

Muffler/silencer/pipe all part of the exhaust pipe. Some cross-Atlantic translation may be needed.
Too little oil will not damage the spark plug, too much will. Carbon fouling. Same with muffler/silencer/pipe.
I do come with an extensive mechanical background but out in my garage (with beer) I am an ordinary Joe.
I have 35 years as a Machinist and Industrial Mechanic and 40 years working on motorcycles.
These times are average, not rushing, hand tools.

Steve

Guess it'll take me a lot longer than 5 hours then given I have much less experience... also the handbook says 28:1 to start off with or is it 20 not sure...

Ok I changed the engine, changed the tank in case of venting problem, my old chain is too short for some strange reason- I wonder how on earth the bike was working before... I tried putting it back on the sprocket and it was missing a single link :confused:. Wonder how it can miss a single link when you can only remove an even number of links and add an even number too.
Either way I need to use new chain and waiting for chain breaker to arrive tomorrow. Tomorrow is so the moment of truth...
Thanks to everyone- especially zippinaround for all your help!

Well they must have forgot for this box. Bad luck I guess.

Nahom, do you need one REAL quick? I would send you mine for free just cost of shipping. I live in the States. I have a box of original parts that I am not using. I just break the chain with hammer and punch, so I don't need the puller. Or I can replace it at a later date. I would rather send it to someone who needs it now and help out.

EDIT: Disregard, just read your last post.

Back