that THING's a motorized bicycle or moped ?

You Riding a Motorized Bicycle or a Moped ???

• Total voters
Mo-Bike

ok after going round and round on one of my threads here on site
with the moondoggie dude -- new guy with less than 20 posts

it seems moondoggie says that we are not riding motorized bicycles
and that we are riding mopeds

he seems to have the technical information to back him up ??

but -- this is a poll regarding what do you call your THING ??

a motorized bicycle ???
or
a moped ???

and also to be noted here
what does your state call that THING ??
here in Calif I am happy to say that I am riding a motorized bicycle THING

due to the low HP
no turn lights
no elect horn
no battery
light weight of bike with motor
I consider mine to be a ((((( motorized bicycle )))))

could not get away with out advising everyone to ride that THING
hard today
and into the night
sweet little THING
that's what I like !!! ----------------- a motorized bike..............................
I refer to mine as a "Mo-Bike"

we want no new laws regarding MB's

That is why I consider them "motorized bicycles".

A moped is designed from the factory to have the engine incorporated into the design process... more of a small motorcycle with pedals.

What we ride start out in the design process as a bicycle.... then we retrofit an engine onto them to make a motorized bicycle.

If we want to keep these things... our best bet is to refer to them as "motorized bicycles" and stay out of the whole legal mess associated with mopeds and motorcycles.

There may be an advantage to be linked as more bicycle than motorcycle... and the term "motorized bicycle" can only help that.

If we want to keep these things... our best bet is to refer to them as "motorized bicycles" and stay out of the whole legal mess associated with mopeds and motorcycles.

best to keep the movement going -- motorized bicycles
got a nice sound to it
separates us the farest from motor cycles

that's a good THING

I'll go along with the MM here.

A moped, in my mind, was designed from the ground up as a motor vehicle, with pedals added on, almost as an afterthought... a MOtorcycle with PEDals.

A motorized bicycle, on the other hand, IS a bicycle, with a small motor added, after the bicycle was designed and built.

Try peddling a moped around the block, without the motor...:cry: THAT's not much fun. :sick:

That being said, the LEGAL definition varies, state-to-state, territory-to-territory, and country-to-country.

IMO, the emphasis on our rides should be on the word bicycle. If we continue to press the term "Motorized Bicycle," perhaps we can favorably influence lawmakers in those states with less friendly laws. Unfortunately, we can also influence the lawmakers negatively, if we develop a trend of pushing the bikes to speeds that they really shouldn't be going, and start having crashes at these speeds...

I live in Arizona, and would love to have the upper speed limit in our statue raised from 20 MPH to 25 or 30 MPH. I can legally ride in the bicycle lane, however, I get passed by the boys in spandex tights fairly often, when I keep to the 20 MPH limit. There's no real safety reason to have the arbitrary 20 MPH limit imposed on bicycle which happens to have a helper motor attached.

Regarding the upper speed limit of the folks who post here... Take a look at this poll. The poll was intended to get an idea of the membership's thoughts surrounding the maximum SAFE speed for motorized bicycles. At the time I post this, there have been 148 votes in this poll. 32 of the folks who voted (about one in five) don't think that there should be ANY speed limit for motorized bicycles. Of the remaining (nearly) 80% of the membership who voted, those who DO feel that there is a maximum safe speed to operate our bikes, the average safe upper speed vote is 31.3 MPH. And, 30 MPH is the max safe speed with the most votes.

Last edited:
In Florida

In Florida the law says a motorized bicycle has an electric motor.

If it is a bicycle with a gas motor it is called a moped and you need a license and a tag.

That is the law. I have a tag for my 23cc gas powered bike.

They will give you one. Mine cost $48 for a year and a half.

They want their money and with things like they are lately I guess they need it.

After looking at the rules for Hawaii I can't complain.

If you tell them it is a motorized bicycle they will say you don't need a tag.

Most cops can tell the difference between an electric motor and a gas motor and in Polk county they are arresting people without tags.

Up to 6 months and $1000 fine. :mad:

Even though this thread probably long ago crossed over into :rolleyes:
territory, here's what the state where I live defines the issue:

Any pedal bicycle which has a helper motor or a non-pedal bicycle with a motor that does not exceed 50 cubic centimeters of cylinder capacity, has an automatic transmission and cannot go faster than 30 miles an hour meets the legal definition of a motorized bicycle. Mopeds fall under the category of motorized bicycles.

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/alerts/scooter.htm

Here's my state (Kentucky):

http://www.moped2.org/laws/Kentucky.htm

Moped Definition

"Moped" means either a motorized bicycle whose frame design may include one or more horizontal crossbars supporting a fuel tank so long as it also has pedals, or a motorized bicycle with a step-through type frame which may or may not have pedals rated no more than two brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission not requiring clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged, and capable of a maximum speed of not more than thirty miles per hour.

A 'moped' is defined as having: "No more than two (2) brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty (50) cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission not requiring clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged, and capable of a maximum speed of not more than thirty (30) miles per hour." KRS 189.285. If not sure about the vehicle, contact the County Clerk's office to find out if the vehicle needs to be licensed.

Back