that THING's a motorized bicycle or moped ?

You Riding a Motorized Bicycle or a Moped ???

• Total voters
poem -- The moondoggie Rider

I sure have called my HT bikes other names when no one was looking !

The moondoggie Rider

moondog riding
late into the night
out without a light
but the moon shinning bright

moondog talking to his bike
just between you and me
you make my heart sing
please don't tell them on the motor bike site
when we are alone I really call you THING​

The moondoggie Rider

moondog riding
late into the night
out without a light
but the moon shinning bright

moondog talking to his bike
just between you and me
you make my heart sing
please don't tell them on the motor bike site
when we are alone I really call you THING​

that one was pretty good.... getting better mountain

OK.... I say this thing is getting out of hand. Strictly democratically speaking we have voted 5:1 that these THINGS are indeed "motorized bicycles". So, even if they are defined as "moped" in some legislation somewhere, we have just voted (in an indirect way) that we want them to be called "motorized bikes". The majority have spoken... so until that bottom number grows to be larger than the top number they are called "motorized Bikes" or "THINGS" depending on where you live.

Last edited:
I am sure not the expert here regarding this question
as proven by our moondoggie friend
yes the terms go back a long dong ways
yes most here do wish to be related to as motorized bicycles
seems to be good reason to separate ourselfs from the "moped"
long list -- you know -- goes on and on
we are more like a bicycle with a motor -- lightweight
mopeds -- I think -- are more like a motor driven cycle -- super small motor cycle -- heavyweight
and when it comes to pedalling the two without using the motor -- what a difference
so according to most of us -- Calif has it right calling us motorized bicycles
anyway I know now that I blew it while making up the poll
because if we would have added THING in there
it would have took the whole THING !!!!
MM

Last edited:
I am sure not the expert here regarding this question
as proven by our moondoggie friend
yes the terms go back a long dong ways
yes most here do wish to be related to as motorized bicycles
seems to be good reason to separate ourselfs from the "moped"
long list -- you know -- goes on and on
we are more like a bicycle with a motor -- lightweight
mopeds -- I think -- are more like a motor driven cycle -- super small motor cycle -- heavyweight
so according to most of us -- Calif has it right calling us motorized bicycles
anyway I know now that I blew it while making up the poll
because if we would have added THING in there
it would have took the whole THING !!!!
MM

definitely agree.

That is why I consider them "motorized bicycles". A moped is designed from the factory to have the engine incorporated into the design process... more of a small motorcycle with pedals. What we ride start out in the design process as a bicycle.... then we retrofit an engine onto them to make a motorized bicycle. Just because people can find legislation that says otherwise doesn't change what they are. Politicians are not always correct, and in fact I think some of their legislation just shows how little they really understand. If we want to keep these things... our best bet is to refer to them as "motorized bicycles" and stay out of the whole legal mess associated with mopeds and motorcycles. Come on guys we have enough trouble staying out of legislation and avoiding being dragged in by jealous motorcyclists that have to pay registration and insurance.... wise up. There may be an advantage to be linked as more bicycle than motorcycle... and the term "motorized bicycle" can only help that.

If this speed fad really catches on,the saving grace will be that there not all that many MB's around.Otherwise the LAW is going to squash you.

If this speed fad really catches on,the saving grace will be that there not all that many MB's around.Otherwise the LAW is going to squash you.

There will be more and more of them... that is why it is better not to lump ourselves in with motorcycles and mopeds. Motorcycles and Mopeds are already regulated, so it is easy to use the precedence to pass legislation on "motorized bicycles". If we are on our own and not linked to them they may have to pass all new legislation which will take longer and be more difficult... making it less likely they will regulate them.

Last edited:
"this speed fad"

JJ... we finally agree on something.

Call it a motorized bicycle, moped, motor assisted bicycle, low power cycle, whatever..... these 'things' are regulated by a lot of states.

Top speeds from 20 to 30 mph.

Nowhere do any regs say 40+ mph.

the 40mph club could easily ruin it for everybody.

If you need to run 40+ mph to keep up with traffic.... get a motorcycle. (buy tags & insurance too)

Just don't spoil it for the rest of us.

my 2 cents

Dave

my 2 cents

Dave

Hear, hear, a well spent couple of pennies but probably fall on a lot of deaf ears.

I was just reading this story out of IN.

The rules of the road are the same as any vehicle: "You have to obey the law," said Richmond Police Chief Kris Wolski.

Wolski said he's working with city officials to draft an ordinance to help control mopeds and scooters, but says the state laws are fairly clear.

A motorized bicycle -- or moped -- must have less than a 2 horsepower, 50cc cylinder capacity and travel at less than 25 mph.

Scooters are considered motorcycles. "We know that there are many people who have purchased scooters with 90cc, 125cc and 150cc gas engines and are operating without a license plate and insurance, thinking they will not get caught," Wolski said.

"(Those sizes) require a motorcycle endorsement on a valid driver's license, insurance and license plates."

There are more rules that are apparently being ignored.

The driver must be at least 14 years old.

Wolski said riders must pay for any damage they cause. "If you collide, you are responsible," he said.

Many of these activities are violations of state law and Richmond police have started a campaign to halt them.

"We're going to write more tickets," Wolski said. "I'm hoping if we put in a concentrated effort, we can ... get it under control so everyone is in compliance."

This isn't a witch-hunt, he said, because the majority of drivers are within the law.

The notion of being able to carve out a special niche for MB's is wishful thinking I believe.In many states there are already (restrictive) MB definitions&regulations in force which categorize 2/3 wheeled motor 'assisted' pedal-driven vehicles as mopeds or scooters,with all the ramifications thereof ,if they exceed a certain engine size or power, or if they are operated above some (low)speed,usually 20mph.The only reason most MB'ers get away with evading the law (esp. speed) is that they're not (yet) much of a nuisance,and that law enforcement is fortunately highly decentralized &spotty.Don't push your luck though,no loud exhaust !,practice stealth.How to do that without increasing your chance of getting run over is sadly an insoluble conundrum.I'm inclined to doubt that the legislative route will be promising,more likely the opposite IMO.

Back