that THING's a motorized bicycle or moped ?

You Riding a Motorized Bicycle or a Moped ???

• Total voters
well i for one think moondog is the only one making any sense.
i'm tough enough, and cool enough to ride a moped. its what i usually call my creation. its much easier to say/type motorized bicycle.

i think here in north america when we hear the word moped, ugly looking scooter things pop into your brain, when in actual fact most of the early euro mopeds where nothing more than bicycles with engines mounted to them.
only difference was they where done in a factory and not as a d.i.y. project.

if doing it yourself makes it a motorized bicycle, then maybe i don't ride a moped.
mounting engines to bicycles is not a new thing, peeps been doing it for over 80 years.
Wingwheel.jpg

Tandem.jpg

only differance is, up until recently, they've always been referred to as mopeds. :)

now if ya really wanted to get into literal defintions, a motor is electric, an engine refers to compustion.

so unless ya ride an electric bicycle, motorized is completely off the mark. :p

either name, we all think there fun! cant we all just agree there great?
:)

tell the whole world!

It seems that instead of just riding MBs or Mopeds and havin fun, there's people that constantly have to push for information about legalities/differences in these types of bikes. I got a better idea! Why don't about 500 of you goons get together and ride them to Sacramento {State capital} and demand to know what MBs really are? should they be smogged? need M2 licenses? Have Moms' permission? See, that way lawmakers can really think about your constant questions of legallity regarding MBs - They then can pass strict laws screwing us all, and then your stupid questions/debates can be answered once and for all!:unsure:

Legal shmegal.

JMO, MB's will NEVER be legalized in my state, in my lifetime. Mopeds are pirate kings here. People of all ages ride them, from the 12yo illegal rider to the 70-something yo who rides to his job as a security guard.

The big reason is that there is no room or patience for any vehicle crawling at 25mph on our roads. No legislator rides a moped and their constituents want roads clear for their cars.

CARS are kings here. Bank loans, road construction, infrastructure all take the use of automobiles into consideration. Even motorcycles are barely accepted by many car drivers as acceptable road users.

My Whizzer is a legalized motorcycle he, but I won't ride it until I find better brakes for it.

My MB's are illegal, especially the dual-engine "Dragon Lady". However, cops don't even give us that "first look", especially if we're ghost pedalling.

they know what they are

Quote:

What is a moped or motorized bicycle?

-There are two types of motorized bicycles, defined in the California Vehicle Code (VC) Sections 406(a) and 406(b).
-Section 406(a) VC refers to a moped or motorized bicycle as any two or three wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, has an automatic transmission, and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horespower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.
-Section 406(b) VC refers to a motorized bicycle as a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that:
◦Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts;
◦Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on level ground; and
◦Is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour

Motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, motorized bicycle/moped (Section 406(a) VC)

-Must obtain an M-1 or M-2 endorsement on a driver's license.
-M-1 allows the driver to operate a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle and moped
-M-2 allows for operation of a moped or motorized bicycle only.
-To obtain an M-1 or M-2 endorsement, the driver must:
◦Pass the appropriate written exam
◦Pass riding skills test (DMV will accept certificate of competence from an approved novice motorcyclist training program instead of skills test, such as the California Motorcyclist Safety Program).
◦If the individual is under 21 years of age, mandatory successful completion of a Basic Rider education course approved by the CHP is required, such as the Basic Rider course available through the California Motorcyclist Safety Program.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/motors.html

that's not real hard to understand.

It seems that instead of just riding MBs or Mopeds and havin fun, there's people that constantly have to push for information about legalities/differences in these types of bikes. I got a better idea! Why don't about 500 of you goons get together and ride them to Sacramento {State capital} and demand to know what MBs really are? should they be smogged? need M2 licenses? Have Moms' permission? See, that way lawmakers can really think about your constant questions of legallity regarding MBs - They then can pass strict laws screwing us all, and then your stupid questions/debates can be answered once and for all!:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
same here in ontario. the law see's no difference between a motorized bicycle and a moped.

Motor-Assisted Bicycles (Moped) Definition
A motor-assisted bicycle, or moped, must be fitted with pedals that are operable at all times to propel the bicycle. The vehicle must weighs less than or equal to 55 kilograms and have no hand or foot operated clutch driven by the motor and transferring power to the driven wheel. If it has an internal combustion engine, its displacement cannot be more than 50 cubic centimetres, and it cannot operate at a speed greater than 50 km/hr on level ground within a distance of 2 km from a standing start.

Moped Operational laws

approved motorcycle helmet is required;
vehicle must be insured and registered and have a valid licence plate;
no passengers allowed;
they must meet federal safety standards for a limited speed motorcycle;
motor-assisted bicycles are not allowed to travel on 400 series highways.

A new, restricted class M licence for limited-speed motorcycle (LSM) and moped drivers was introduced on November 28, 2005. This new restricted class M licence has a condition that allows licence holders to drive limited-speed motorcycles and mopeds only.

Lot of good ideas.
Seems if one went to court with the definitions could keep the baffled for a long time.
Think I will go with "Enginized Bicycle" Just to be different.
Once a young man rode his new Triumph to show his mother. "Come and look at my new motorcycle " . " What kind is it she ask" coming outside to see it. "It's a Triumph Trident". Smiling she said " , there's only two kind of motorcycles Harley and Indian.That thing is a motor bike.

Lot of good ideas.
Think I will go with "Enginized Bicycle" Just to be different.
Once a young man rode his new Triumph to show his mother. "Come and look at my new motorcycle " . " What kind is it she ask" coming outside to see it. "It's a Triumph Trident". Smiling she said " , there's only two kind of motorcycles Harley and Indian.That thing is a motor bike.

lol i love it!

should have had that in the poll

Smiling she said
That thing is a motor bike.

granny knew exactly what was up
and please -- all here -- take note of granny's term used -- THING
and some of you thought that I made that up

silly ones riding those THINGS !!!

nice poll and sure looks like 5 to 1 -- most here perfer to call there's motorized bicycles
when not using the THING term

Last edited:
I have to agree with you on that Mountain man. Be it a motorized bicycle or moped, they are both THINGS ! :D I sure have called my HT bikes other names when no one was looking ! I now have a Mits powered Staton friction drive that I have been riding lately. I call it way fun THING ! Many tankfuls and I have not cussed it once ! ! ! I like it so much maybe I will write a poem about it ! :D

With my way fun Thing

Life is not the same

I love to ride

Motors on the side :D

Back