The "BEST" wheels for Motorized bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that once you learn how to true a wheel its not so bad. There is a system, and I have fixed some major mess ups in my day. there are books and articles on truing wheels. The question is why buy a wheel you cant true? My rear sprocket got loose and damaged eight spokes so I just replaced them and now my wheel is fine. Total retail cost about six bucks.

Mike Frye the bike guy

My point.. the wheels are not designed for use with a gas engine

BINGO! You are correct sir! As these wheels of mine are not specifically intended for motorized applications, if they fail on me , then I'm on my own.

In 35 years of motorcycling, I've wrecked a few motorcycles in my time, a couple times going over 100 mph, and I survived.

I've had chains jump track and lock up the rear wheel without going over the handlebars. (All you do is slide a few yards). Tire Blowouts too.

I've even gone airborn on a 45 ft flt. when a drug addict made a left hand turn at an intersection right in front of me while riding my Suzuki GS1000-G.

My bike stopped her Cadillac Sedan Deville cold, and away I went.
I'm far more concerned with the idiots driving cars, and trucks out there!

So I am not really afraid of what MAY be. At the speeds these bicycles travel, I am not in the least concerned with the wheel failure issue. If the wheels fail I'll get a warranty replacement.

If I get hurt I'll heal. When I die, then let it be quick. I have a do not revive order in my living will, so I cant be kept around as a vegtable anyway. There'll be nothing left in me good, or young enough to transplant when I'm done with it! I've had a blast so far!

I've also led a blessed life. You get blessed when you live right. Only folks that dont believe in GOD, Jesus, and are living wrong are afraid to die. When GOD calls, you WILL answer!

Theres nothing you can do, or could have done to change when your time comes. When its your turn, its your turn.

rowenj, I believe those are the mags being discussed at the beginning of this thread.

I like them and would buy them if I had $150 to spend casually for some new wheels, and only wanted to use a 7 speed freewheel.

I wonder if an 8speed freewheel can fit on these in a bike that came with a 8speed cassette shimano hub.

I can't tell from the description or photos if one can re arrange the axle nuts and washers. There is a problem with mag wheels, that they cannot be dished (adjusted by the spokes to center or move the rim).
These look really neat though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Unique-No-Spoke...ycl ing_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2558102b86

I think the thread starter discussed how to mount MB cogs to the left side.

Attachments

• FostersblackBike.jpg
    FostersblackBike.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 484
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Happy, I Have 2 0f Those Bike`s With Dual Disc Brakes. Mine Are Silver And Called "blackcomb" Other Wise Identical Ron

re: blackcomb. Are you talking about the red bike from last post? I found it randomly by searching for the mag wheels on ebay.

Happy, Yeah, I Thought It Was Yours. Mine Have Spoke Wheels. Walmart Sells For $299. Plus Tax. I Pd 50 Each. Ron

Flattracker, I Question about the Top Hat. Using this spoke less wheel you’re using which offset did you use? It says on the eBay page...
" You can mix and match sprockets (Race Series (no off set) OR Standard Super Sprockets (approximately 1/8 to 3/16 offset) AND Top Hat Adapters (1/8" offset OR 1/4" offset ) to help achieve a perfect chain line (Let us know which backspacing you prefer OR if none is indicated we will send whichever unit we have the most in stock at the time of your payment)."

I plan on doing exactly what you did. I have had the worst time with spokes

Source - http://cgi.ebay.com/Top-Hat-Sprocke...itu=UCI&otn=4&ps=63&clkid=8015005410362358921

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Tophat Adapter

I ordered the disk brake model adapter which is the one shown in the photos.

First of all if you plan on using the Teny wheels for your project, your sprocket center hole diameter must be enlarged to 53mm to 54mm to fit over the hub first.

Do yourself a favor and tap the wheels disk brake holes to their full depth and buy a longer socket head bolts of grade 8.

The disk brake holes are shallow, and designed for standard length disk brake mounting bolts and are too short to hold the adapter well.

Then the "Tophat" fits over the end of the wheel hub. It fits perfectly over the end of the wheels hub like a cap, which is then bolted to the wheel hubs six disc brake holes.

The sprocket is then bolted to the adapter using grade 8 hardware.

Washers are used between the sprocket and Tophat adapter to adjust the sprocket spacing to get the correct alignment with the chain.

I had to use three washers per bolt to get the correct alignment. This setup will also let you change out your sprocket faster.

The end of the hub is machined perfectly flat, and provides instant perfect alignment for the sprocket.

You will no longer have to deal with aligning the sprocket, and rubber pads on the spokes.

One more thing, depending on your bikes frame you may have to use washers on your bike's axle to allow for clearance between the frame and the adapter.

I have your tires now

First of all if you plan on using the Teny wheels for your project, your sprocket center hole diameter must be enlarged to 53mm to 54mm to fit over the hub first.

Do yourself a favor and tap the wheels disk brake holes to their full depth and buy a longer socket head bolts of grade 8.

Hey so i just received these tires in the mail and had these questions.
#1. What was your method enlarging the diameter of the hole? I have to make a lot of room with my sprocket.
#2. How deep is the full depth on your set, with the disk brake holes?
#3. What thread did you use?
Thanks Flattracker

Last edited:
Man, I wish I could use the tiny's on my bike but I have a single speed.GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back