The "BEST" wheels for Motorized bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please note that the Wheelmaster wheels he had are the "Chinese" ones, and not mine, somebody oversea's stole our name, I'm not bashing the wheels he's using, they look great, but I would submit one of mine for a stress test against em, I think I would have a good chance.. again, not bashing, the bike looks amazing !

Best Wheel Setup

I've read this entire post and it seems that everyone agrees on a couple of points. One, a strong quality wheel used with common sense will serve most purposes. The best designed wheel will fail if abused. Second, a lot of problems are eliminated by avoiding a rag joint which puts uneven lateral torque on spokes that were designed to withstand pressure end-to-end. I have addressed the problem by observing the evolution of motorcycles in the 20s when the double drive chain, or belt and chain in some instances, was eliminated by moving the engine drive to the right side and using the hub mounted sprocket which can be swapped out to adjust gearing. This transfer can be accomplished by using a right side drive engine (I have a RH drive Homelite chainsaw engine on one of my MBs) or by employing a jackshaft like the one found on a Giant Stiletto, the SBP unit, or one of the many custom units featured on this site. This conversion also eliminates maintenance on the second chain and sprockets, and gives a "cleaner" look. Shimano sells Hyper Low cogs with up to 22 teeth, or you can drill and bolt a 36 to 50 tooth sprocket to a one of Shimanos pre-drilled cogs and connect with a threaded lock ring or spring clip.

Does anyone know how to install the rear pedal sprocket on these rims? Gasbike didn't send a nut or directions. :( :/

At a loss (???)

Not sure what wheels you have if it is a freewheel you spin/ thread it on. If it is a single sprocket there should be a large clip. Clip looks like a circle with a small area missing. It will be alittle bigger than the hole in the center of sprocket

Not sure what wheels you have if it is a freewheel you spin/ thread it on. If it is a single sprocket there should be a large clip. Clip looks like a circle with a small area missing. It will be alittle bigger than the hole in the center of sprocket

These:
IMG_20160906_191454784_HDR(1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160907_183315191.jpg
    IMG_20160907_183315191.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 248
Check out bikeberry they have a set of mag rims engine sprocket included $150 for the pair, you could easily spend that on a set of high end spoked rims

Disregard, got it. Not to knowledgeable I guess with regular bike parts. It is a threaded freewheel. Went from 18 tooth to 22 tooth. Helps a little in the hill climb when I run out of gas if ever that happens. Or just riding it as a regular bike. Going to be doing that today as I need to either drill the bolt pattern on my 36 tooth motor sprocket or get a few more links so my motor chain will fit onto my 44 tooth that came with wheels. Not sure which way I am going to go.

Attachments

• IMG_20160910_185713793.jpg
    IMG_20160910_185713793.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_20160910_185728494.jpg
    IMG_20160910_185728494.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 284
Disregard, got it. Not to knowledgeable I guess with regular bike parts. It is a threaded freewheel. Went from 18 tooth to 22 tooth. Helps a little in the hill climb when I run out of gas if ever that happens. Or just riding it as a regular bike. Going to be doing that today as I need to either drill the bolt pattern on my 36 tooth motor sprocket or get a few more links so my motor chain will fit onto my 44 tooth that came with wheels. Not sure which way I am going to go.
Interesting there's no top hat adapter as far as I can see. Have you checked the alignment? Is the 44t sprocket aligned with the motor sprocket without a top hat to bring it 1/8-1/4" inboard? I wonder if they have taken the 1/4" off the hub..

Interesting there's no top hat adapter as far as I can see. Have you checked the alignment? Is the 44t sprocket aligned with the motor sprocket without a top hat to bring it 1/8-1/4" inboard? I wonder if they have taken the 1/4" off the hub..

Top hat: Nope, didn't buy one.

I haven't had a chance to check motor sprocket/wheel sprocket alignment. I have aligned the wheel to the middle of the chain stays. It looks pretty close though(motor sprocket/wheel sprocket alignment). Will check alignment tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back