tip of throttle cable pops off the pin/hat setup when I try to pull the throttle

WOAH! I bet you used the rear derailier cable for it,huh.

WE need to see some pics of that bad boy!

You know, I'm not exactly sure WHAT cable I used. I bought a "Bell BikeFix" kit that came with a bunch of different cables. I just used what made the most sense. I didn't use the cable housing, I cut it and slipped it out and pretty much re-assembled it to work for me. All I'm looking for is some info on how short I should cut the cable. Like I said, I'm guessing I should make it short enough so that it gives a little compression on the spring, but not enough to lift the pin out of the "click" position in the carb. That's my "educated guess"

I guess here's a better question to ask:

Does that "CLICK" noise mean the engine will turn off? I don't know anything about engines, but from what I MIGHT assume, and I could be VERY wrong, the pin lifts and controls how much gas runs into the engine, which in turn controls your RPMS. Does that mean the "idle" screw is another "passage" for gas, so that you can set how much gas flows when the pin is in the "click" position, thus a way to control your idle?

I need to take a class. haha

Last edited:
I'm gunna run to home depot and pick up a couple little things to finish this throttle project, and hopefully drive home.. haha, I brought my bike to work, lol. It's here in my office. :) BRB

READ MY QUESTION ABOVE! :)

the screw question is correct. turn it looser (lol looser) and it idles slower. tighter =faster. dont turn more than 3 1/2 turns out (despite what the directions say 4 1/2) or you will loose the screw. and you will be screwed, and peddeling home.

Ok-- well, I finished, went out to a parking lot and for the first time I actually rode it for more than 15 sec! lol. One thing though-- it seemed to be "jittery" & I heard many "pops". What can i do to fix that? I think maybe its idling really low. I think maybe my throttle cable needs to be tighter.

OK! You guys were telling me "Do you hear a click when you pull and let go of the throttle"? I didn't know what click you were talking about, but NOW that I'm messing around with a longer cable, I KNOW I hear it. So my question now is...
that "click" noise is obviously the barrel falling all the way down into the carb. Does that click resemble where "no twist of the throttle" should be, or does the throttle need to be set a smidge higher than that click?

If it's set at the click, I'm sure I can get this to run the right way.

Otherwise, I fixed the "slipping" issue with a new cable and some dremmel work! Works like a charm now!
Does that makes sense?
hey..good now we are on the same page,it should click when it hits the bottom and then adjust the slack out of the cable housing on the screw cap top adjuster thingy..then pull the throttle a few times and it should click top, click bottom and thats it! "click is not a mechanical term" it's just what i use as a guide... good luck:D

Also-- the throttle cable end cap CONTINUALLY slips through the barrel no matter what I do. I'm thinking SOMEHOW my cable came a little too short. It's the ONLY thing that makes sense. So I went to Walmart, bought some brake cables, and assembled my own throttle cable, with a little more length. Right now, I'm trying to figure out just HOW much length to give it.
Yes, I too would love to see this homemade throttle cable. I've seen one other brilliant example, and I thought I'd die before I saw another.

re-make of the throttle cable

Ok, you wanted pics and info on how I re-made my throttle cable using a brake line, so here it is..

I used a Bell Brake/Gear cable Kit ($8 at walmart), and I'm not sure which cable I ended up using. I used the cable that had the end that was closest to the end that fits into the "barrel" on the carb. cable setup.

I also had to buy this-- it was like, $1.50 or something:
100_5002.jpg - 0.54MB

I began by taking apart my pin/hat/barrel setup, and cutting the line that my kit came with (I just used wire cutters). I slipped it out of the plastic housing, and put it aside.

I took out my new cable, and cut off the end that had the larger end cap. (The end that would typically hookup to the throttle). In other words, I cut the side that was FURTHEST away from fitting into the barrel.

Since it was too big to fit down the barrel, I took dremmel, held the piece with a wrench, and just started shaving away, every-so-often checking to see if it fit inside the barrel. When it finally did, it fit like this:

100_5004.jpg - 0.57MB

100_5005.jpg - 0.39MB

Now that that side fit, I slipped it through the brake line that came with my kit, and fed it all the way through so it ended up like this:

100_5009.jpg - 0.55MB

So then I took one of those "Ferrule" pieces I showed you in my first photo link above, and checked to see if it fit into the throttle hole, which it didn't. It was too big, so I did the same thing that I did with the other end of the cable:

100_5007.jpg - 0.37MB

100_5008.jpg - 0.34MB

Then I placed it on the line, and crimped it, like so:

100_5009.jpg - 0.55MB

Then, walaa, into the throttle it goes. It's pretty simple setup, nothing very difficult to do-- anyone could do it. I've driven with it like this and I haven't had a problem.

100_5012.jpg - 0.41MB

Sorry I don't have more pics, but I had already completed the project when you asked for pics! hehe.

by the way- it's still a pain to start, and idles really high no matter how I turn the screw--- I cannot figure it out.

Back