Trek 4500/ GP460/ 8 speed SHIFTER

i love it when i find that groove n a bike . it just all comes together one day . everything is dialed in . rider and bike become one , motor , gears , wheels , shifters , all working together smoothly , nothing feels better , 3.9 miles to work when i get there i'm all pumped up . its great . i don't care what anyone says its great exercise. it makes my heart pound.

yeah, when i started this thread i thought i'd be able to shorten up the list of problems and time it would take others to copy and enjoy it.

as it is now this thing is 35 pages, 341 posts long and has a life and friends of it's own.

LOL

steve

That's what I was telling you.I used to ride the nimble,souped up, nervy 2 strokes.With close ratio box,you can have loads of fun.Never lug them but stay in the power band by preemptive shifting.

DUI,

you're a valued resource my friend.

i've reworked my gearing to reflect my new understanding. it blows me away how little of this engines real personality i was mistakenly not using and enjoying.

cassette cogs used will be 26-24-23-22. lowest gearing i'll need is the 26T @22.79:1, this gear at 11,000rpm is 37mph, the accel is great, it flattens all hills even into 25+mph headwinds. highest will be 22T@ 19.29:1, this gear at 11,00rpm is 45mph and great for open road, even hills but doesn't like high headwinds much.

thanks,
steve

Last edited:
OK, managed to get my rear fender back on today, real happy with that.

also, tested the gear, speed, tensioner spring relationship. i had a 10# spring on it when driving with a 1/2X1/8 chain and replaced it with an 8# when i put on the lighter 8mm chain. put the 10# back on and the problem vanished, you were right again DUI. i may pick up a 12# just for good measure.

with the final chain and derailleur in much better control along with the primary chain tension the bike is not only nice and smooth but also FAST since it's not hampered by drivability issues in the midrange transistion area.

maybe i'll be done someday soon LOL

steve
Wher did you get the springs? Are they interchangable with any brand tensioner?

i get the springs from ACE Hardware. you might be able to use them with other tensioners i guess.

i went and found springs in the 8-10-12 pound tension rates and built my tensioner around the length of the spring.

steve

Back