what welder do i need

With smaw, an angle grinder and some patience you can fabricate most anything within a 1/32 of a inch tolerance. (Except maybe a hole but that's what the hole saws are for.)

If you run this off of 240v single phase you shouldn't be tripping the breaker when you turn the amps up.

If the duty cycle is to be believed 6 minutes of welding at the full 125 amps before it needs a good 30 minutes to cool down is acceptable. Hell of a lot better than the harbor freight smaw machine that craps out at 3 minutes of welding at 70 amps.

As for the welding kit, all brand new, off the top of my head, budget no less than:
$125 for the welder
$15 for a chipping hammer,
$5 for a wire brush,
$100 for an auto darkening helmet,
($40 for a fixed shade hood but its a lot of flipping that up and down)
$30 or so for some heavy welding gloves,
$10 for channel locks,
$20-100 for a brand new angle grinder brand, depending on the brand, and
$30-50 for a cotton welding jacket. A bench vise and measuring tools will come in very handy but not necessary for playing around.

Then we have consumables:
Idk just budget $50 for welding rods, cutting discs and some flap discs, that should buy plenty of everything. 7018 is very popular but I started with e601X( 6010, 6011, 6013 etc)

Go on craigslist or to pawnshops to save some money but I can't guarantee there's anything good for a fair price. I wouldn't touch market place with a ten foot pole: too many losers and idiots.

If you hate welding, I would charge half of msrp assuming you bought it new and just eat the loss, but I am not fond of haggling so you could probably get away with
%75 of msrp if the tools aren't thrashed.

Weld.com has some great videos.

Nothing is worse than welding overhead and having slag fall into your collar
Try overhead welding in the shipyard for 8 hrs a day, ya might choose a different job :LOL: Nah your tough enough (y)
Leather up and don't try cool yourself off with the oxygen from the cutting torch you'll go up in a fire ball

The excitement of scarfing, talk about throwing some molten metal, Just some of the exciting duties of a welder

Are you looking for a mig, stick, tog, or all three? The 140 unlimited(which is all a hobbiest needs) is 600 (500 with the ITC membership) and it will do all three

Back