Where do you ride?

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by Scottm, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Scottm

Scottm Guest

I'm a single father and the only employee where I work so I have to be careful. I will not get my bike on the main roads, cagers here think turn signals are accessories and not a safety feature, and the 2 second rule is so you can leave space for someone to crowd in. Anything on the road other than a car is a target.
    So where do you all ride your MBs? I've found a few dirt trails, but the city's bike trails do not allow motorized vehicles. Even though I have a mountain bike , dirt trails feel like I'm riding down an endless flight of stairs. Any suggestions? I've been thinking of just throwing the bike on the carrier and driving out to the country for a day and getting lost on farm roads.
    I LOVE my MB and can't wait to put some long miles on it instead of just hopping from stop sign to stop sign in the neighborhoods.

2. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

commuting with cagers must be offset by liberal doses of "getting lost on farm roads."
    bring the kids, have a picnic, take many rides!

trails can be rough on rear hubs and bearings, i learned the hard way...

all my riding is on clean ashphalt, and it's every bit of it scenic. the only time i have a problem is during events (and we have plenty) and the city-cagers inundate the place with city driving habits. i'm learning my way around the back roads quickly.
  3. Herrmanator8

Herrmanator8 Guest

maybe you should carry a paintball pistol for those (EDIT) that give you a hard time:grin:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2007
  4. Scottm

Scottm Guest

LOL, I don't dare take my hands off the handle bars. I'll do more damage to myself than the cager would. Last years several cheerleaders here in town got in trouble for shooting rival cheerleadrs with paint balls from the back of a pick up.
    I'm in Texas,the land of pick ups, guns and cheerleader violence.:eek:
  5. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

I'd recommend you wearing one of those orange reflective vests, even in the day time, and for $5 you can get one of those small orange pennants that recumbents use, stick 6 foot in the air.

And take a cue from regular bike riders, anywhere they go is okay for you.

My brother can get around his medium sized city faster on the bike that his car, go on the parallel avenues to the main drags....

Oh, and if you find a route that has a lot of 4 way stop sign intersections, there WILL be less auto traffic, drivers HATE those roads compared to the ones with lights.

Good Luck !
  6. drimpact

drimpact Member

Luckily Where I live most of the state highways have nice wide smooth shoulders. I ride most of my distances riding as fast as I can go down these hwys.

I have lots of secondary roads to choose from also, a few routes take me down farm roads and R/R access roads. I love the fact I can go just about anywhere. I have had to lift by bike over fences, when I have taken the wrong turn and find myself on the wrong side of such fences. I ride the same roads and trails I road as a kid on my dirt bikes. only I never could pick up my motor bikes.

I stay away from sand, as almost always it is dry and will suck a bike tire to the hub faster than you can say" I am about to go over the bars, Again". Other than that I ride everywhere.
  7. Jim H

Jim H Guest

Out here where I live is flat land. We have major roads which are used for beach traffic with nice wide shoulders. This used to be rural farm land but housing is replacing it quick. I take the old backroads around here to go into Delaware and back into Maryland. The Mason-Dixon line seperates the two from each other. You can relax pretty much on a ride out this way and see plenty of wildlife in your travels like deer,turkey, red tailed hawk and eagle. It's still a slower pace this side of the Chesapeake Bay, this is where I ride.
  8. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

I live on country blacktop and ride on only the backroads. I know how to get to Michigan and around northern Indiana on backroads. Capable of sneeking into and out of several cities on the backroads. The real problem is that, some of these backroads are pretty much single laners as is the RR service roads. By the way, watch out for those chains they put accross the service roads sometimes.
    I do feel fortunate to live in the country but I would rather move back to Colorado or Alaska. It's all corn fields here. BORING!!!
  9. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Thaks for all the great posts guys. I had a bummer night last night. Seized piston in cylinder (please no tech/mech stuff on this thread).
    It's great to hear about your rides and it made me smile. My kids hugged me even though I was covered in blood, sweat, tears and gasoline. That made me feel a lot better too. I have not heard this song in ages, but some of your posts remind me of John Denver's Sweet Surrender. "Lost and alone on some forgotten highway, traveled by many remembered by few....".

Well I'll be back on my MB soon and I'll wriet where I ride. Keep the great stories comming.

And yes, It's a blessing to be born in this great country.
  10. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Well, the song now screaming in my minds ear is "Another one bites the dust". :rolleyes: Sorry....

But I'd rather think pleasant thoughts about you Scott, dig out the cassette tape deck !!! "He's Gone" by the Dead, Live at Rutherford NJ '89.

"Nothing left to do but Smile, Smile, Smile.":cool:
  11. Scottm

Scottm Guest

LOL, I should have been singing "Casey Jones, you'd better watch your speed".
    This is gonna get silly
  12. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

all cleaned up for ya, scott
  13. Scottm

Scottm Guest

so this is what it feels like to be hijacked:shock: Aug you beat me to the punch.
  14. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Where I ride

Where I live, the townsite area is about 1 square mile. There are 3 roads out of town:
    One goes 7 miles, past the ferry terminal, to the Chilkoot River, Chilkoot lake, and Chilkoot State Park. There are 6 or 7 waterfalls etc along the way. Where the ocean and the river meet, there are usually Seals feeding on the Salmon.The river is full of salmon this time of year, so I like to stop and watch them jumping. There's often bears feeding on the salmon too, though they've figured out that it's easier to take them from fishermen than catch them themselves. The lake is one of the primary spawning grounds for Sockeye salmon. It's full of Dolly Varden Trout that feed on the eggs.
    Another road goes 7 miles to Chilkat State Park. That's where the ocean meets the Chilkat River. The last mile or so is a killer 14% grade, switchbacks. But it's worth it to ride out there. Beautiful views of Davidson Glacier and Rainbow Glacier.
    The last road goes 44 miles along the Chilkat and Tsirku Rivers to the Canadian border. All along the way are views of mountains and valleys that are rarely, if ever visited by man. At 25 mile, I can turn off and go towards Porcupine (a gold mining area), Chilkat Lake, or Sunshine mountain (Gravel roads, breathtaking views of mountains, glaciers, etc.). At 26 mile, I can turn off to Mosquito Lake (where I'm working on building a cabin), and the Kelsal Valley (Gravel roads that take off along the Kelsal River into the wilderness along the US/Canadian border). At 33 mile there is a Roadhouse that serves some of the best burgers I've had. Oh, I forgot to mention the eagles. At 18 mile is the Bald Eagle Preserve. In the fall, there are thousands of eagles.
    Plenty to look at on my rides.:cool:
  15. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Here's pics of the views along the roads to Chilkoot Lake, and also to Chilkat State Park.

Attached Files:

16. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Mosquito Lake

Here are some pics from out toward Mosquito Lake. The first one is at 4 mile, looking up the valley toward Canada. The second is out on Mosquito lake road. It's the start of what will be my driveway. The cabin and shop will be at the base of the hill you can almost see back there. The third is Jay's alternate transport. You need a bush pilot who can land you in a mud puddle? Jay's the man. I won't post pictures of the Kelsal or Sunshine. You all want to see that, you gotta come see it.:smile:

Attached Files:

17. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Hey Van, nice shots. I do no why they call it mosquito lake. I remember all kinds of giant deer flies that will dive bomb you and leave a wollop.
    I also remember the scunk cabbage as well as those giant Salmon berries and man were they good. The size of quarters or more, if my memory is correct.
    Really nice pics of Gods work! Thanks!
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2007
  18. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

An average day - Hijackng A Thread?

Hi Scottm,
    I thought I'd keep track of my riding on a day off. I hope you enjoy it:

After checking the crab traps this morning, I went by the junkyard to look for parts for Augie. As I passed the Fog Cutter bar, I saw that a bunch of friends from out of town were visiting.

So I stopped in and had an N/A Beer with them. Then I decided to wander out to the UMF Clubhouse. Built a fire in the pit to cook a steak. Some friends dropped by. I let some of them ride the bike. Good to see what that grin looks like from the other side.

Rode out to the springs to fill my water bottle (The best drinking water in the world. IMNSHO)
    We had the water tested a couple of years ago. Far better than the town water (Which is okay).
    Gratuitous picture.
    And back to the Fog Cutter. That Moose rack has a 50" spread. It was Mardi Gras weekend, hence the decorations.
    In the back area of the bar is the 52" rack a buddy shot a couple of years ago (Moose season is coming up)
    About 25 miles not counting the rides I let people take. I can do that here, and know they will bring it back.

I hope you don't feel like I'm hijacking your thread. If so, feel free to do whatever with it.
  19. ironwarlock

ironwarlock Guest

Van make some room I'm moving in. ;) wow thats some nice country.
  20. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Looks like a great place to live, Van. 52", now that belongs under our rack mount section. Thanks for sharing.