Why do you ride a motored bike?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12676
  • Start date
I wanted something to experiment on. I've lots of engine experience but wanted a basic tinker toy to test theories and ideas on. I also wanted some exercise, but like Windy City Bob, I have some limitations from a life of wild adventure with darned poor co-ordination. Here in Canada we are limited by winter Dec to Apr. I've got this idea for a dynometer over the winter...

Steve

Unfortunately, I lost my drivers license to a suspension in 2005 for not paying 2 fines totalling a little over $1000 for driving my car just after my rego had expired (was only 3 days old and I didnt realise it at the time).
Being young and broke and stupid, I continued driving which turned my suspension into a disqualification. But being stupid I carried on driving and was caught several more times until I luckily dodged going to jail by a millimeter and instead spent 7 months on home detention. I have 7 more years to go before I can get my license back. Since it was a long time ago and I haven't been in trouble with the law since, I can go and get my license back now, but it will involve me going to court and hiring a lawyer, which I've been told will cost between $1500-$2000.

So until I can scrape enough together to get my disqualification reduced I'll be limited to the motorized bike.
One thing I'm sure of, when I do get my license back, I will definitely be getting my MC riders license haha

Don't see how anyone can live without a car/truck. How to you haul things home from the store? How do you carry other people. What about rain/extreme heat/extreme cold. My area was designed for cars. Can't get anywhere without using freeways.

Mostly because it's cheap economical way of transportation. And also I love to build anything with wheels. Customizing. There's endless possibilities with these simple yet elegant machines...

The tinkering part appeals to me as well. I use a friction drive for reliability, but plan to build another frame mounted engine bike soon. Maybe even with a shifter kit.

Unfortunately, I lost my drivers license to a suspension in 2005 for not paying 2 fines totalling a little over $1000 for driving my car just after my rego had expired (was only 3 days old and I didnt realise it at the time).
Being young and broke and stupid, I continued driving which turned my suspension into a disqualification. But being stupid I carried on driving and was caught several more times until I luckily dodged going to jail by a millimeter and instead spent 7 months on home detention. I have 7 more years to go before I can get my license back. Since it was a long time ago and I haven't been in trouble with the law since, I can go and get my license back now, but it will involve me going to court and hiring a lawyer, which I've been told will cost between $1500-$2000.

So until I can scrape enough together to get my disqualification reduced I'll be limited to the motorized bike.
One thing I'm sure of, when I do get my license back, I will definitely be getting my MC riders license haha

Sucks man...
I was lucky enough to not get caught for the stupid things I did as a youth.
Here in Canada it would cost $1500-$2000 to get your license reinstated after a first suspension.
Any suspension here also prohibits you from any motorized vehicle, motor boat, even a lawn tractor.
Caught driving it in public and you go to jail.

I haven't had a car for 6 years now. Yes it's difficult sometimes but not impossible. To purchase and bring home anything of size I go by taxi.
Grocery shopping is always limited to the bare minimum which is good for my budget anyway.

Regarding how to handle shopping trips, the options are easy:

a basket assembly for the bike or...
for larger loads, a wagon you can tow. you feel pretty silly, but eh, you do what you have to do.

Back