Why I where a helmet...

The Snopes entry said he hit the truch at 120+ mph. I can believe it- looks like a Ninja ZX-6R or ZX-10R. I see the sportbike idiots running around at high speed nearly every day and many time I see them doing wheelies down the road and weaving in and out of traffic wearing a T-shirt, shorts and no helmet- at least that guy had a helmet....fat lot of good it does at 120 mph, though. And, sorry, how anyone can look at the picture an thought the person lived...well, seems pretty obvious to me.

Still- wear a helmet- long pants, even long sleeves, a helmet and eye protection. Even on our bikes, ride smart. Please. 30 mph into an "immovable object" is deadly too.

I always wear my helmet. I was riding down the road one day when some jerk pulled out onto the road without stopping and clipped my rear triangle, spinning me around and knocking me down. my brand new (as of 2 weeks) Diamondback Coil EX was ruined. He never stopped.... luckily i was ok and his BOSS saw what happened. I was reimbursed.

ALSO: here is a vid of why i wear my helmet. This one put me down for about 2 weeks, cracked my helmet in half and sent my bike 20 feet into a creek. I landed about 10 feet past where i hit.

Full Face Modular Helmet

My full face helmet is miserable in the heat, day or night. It fits very tight as it is supposed to. The good part is the modulator front that you can raise when you stop just to cool off a little or take a drink. It has a mask that directs your breath down so you don't fog your glasses or the face shield. It is actually a snowmobile helmet with a motorcycle face shield in place of the two layer snow mobile one. Snowmobile face shields are not shatterproof. Haven't a clue why, guess running into a tree isn't a shattering experience?

We have a lot of bike paths on half mile streets and paved paths along the major irrigation canals and they can lend a feeling of comfort and safety, but at every intersection and driveway cagers cross your path and don't see us or mis-judge our speed. Regardless we loose in a collision.

I wore a DOT half shell in the 60's on my trailbikes and thought I was protected, but now realise I was very lucky I didn't have a serious head injury. I did tear up a knee and do other damage in my riding.

Now I have wrist, knee and elbow pads as well. Wish I had those when just riding my J C Higgins in the 40s when I collected a fair amount of road rash from Phoenix's very rough asphalt streets.

We had a motorcycle helmet law in AZ for several years and the riders got it repealed for adults. No comment.

Jim

Back