Wild in the snow

you're gonna need some serious torque anyway. looks like a fun project.
is the snow blower engine intact? what size engine propelled this beast?

wheels are turning here....I'm thinking ...suspension fork on the ski....:cool:...using both tracks, really close together, so you can still lean into turns.....hang on!!!

sorry... I got carried away for a minute :LOL:
I'd still like to build a winter ride.

happytime engines are RWW (reliable with wrenches) :p:LOL::LOL:

The snow blower motor is gone. Must have been 5 - 15 horse, but most of that was used to chew and blow snow. I'll probably set it up to work with my Mitsu 2.2 initially. If I need more torque I could recondition a B/S, but I'd have to think about a clutch. Everything on the tracks uses bushings. I should gain some reduction in needed power by changing to bearings. I'm initially aiming for 10 to 15 mph. Suspension fork... Good idea, I'll dig around in the parts pile (might be tough to find in 20"). The tracks are a total of 21" wide, I think I'll be able to lean into corners. I'll put some steel blades on the ski for steering. Brakes..... There's a question.

Just a thought Van, if you could find a small hydraulic pump and drive motors, you could use both tracks for power and steering. Just dreaming!
Sure looks like it could do some climbing if you get enough power behind it.
Doc

I would do the B/S with a minibike centrifical clutch. 5 horse should be cool. Costco has that 6.5 horse for around a hundred bucks.
you may need some welding though when it comes to attaching that axle. Or maybe if you can take the bearings from the original unit (red body) and cut the plate around it,maybe you can then bolt the plate on to the frame.
And Brakes? Just turn down the throttle. You'll stop for shure...eventually. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
There ain't no Costco 'round here. But I'll deal with that when I get to it. I've got piles of weed eaters, piles of lawn mowers and tillers, and piles of chainsaw powerheads (one real big one there). Yeah, there will have to be some welding, but I think I can do it pretty simple. For a brake, right now I'm thinking I'll look around for a big pulley (about 10") that I can mount on the center of the shaft. I could attach something like a Mavic Brake Caliper Adjuster to the frame http://www.mavic.com/activity/product.aspx?r=4&id=323944&lg=1 at the appropriate height, slap a set of v-brakes on there, use the pulley as a brake rotor, tada - brakes..

on the topic of wild in the snow. i have been looking at that icebiking sight for a couple months now and im buying a set of snowcat rims there extra wide. and im putting studded tires on them...and i should mention that i have what i think is a happy time 2 stroke. but im not sure what model it is. it was just a kit off ebay. going to be buying a 34t sprocket as well. : D : D

Samurai, the Happy Time and those tires should get you around pretty good on plowed roads. The 34t should give you scary speed.

Back