Wild in the snow

With both those tracks, you could really go way off into the bush.
Keep us posted please? Got my curious little brain a thinking.
Doc

Disassembly

I worked on taking the snow blower tracks apart today. Not much in the way of bearings. I'll have to do something about that.

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

It came apart real easy 'til I got to pulling a gear off the shaft to remove it. I got one to move quite a bit, but it wouldn't slide all the way off. I tried a small gear puller. Nada. I'll try a bigger gear puller the next time I can get to working on it. In the meantime, I left the "Correct Tool" sitting on it (7.5 lb mini sledge hammer). I don't know if threats will work, but it couldn't hurt.:rolleyes:

Interesting idea. Snow machines aren't "technicaly" allowed on state roads. I wonder how they would deal with a motor assisted, tracked, tricycle? I do have a frame out in the yard.

Man, Van, that looks like you could weld the back of the bike right on and slide your sprocket over to meet the drive srocket. Oh yeah, you will have to change the sprocket to match your motors. Yeah, you might as well take the pedals off because I don't think you coud proove that they work. Ha Ha
Doc
Soak them gears and bearings!

I'm thinkin' that maybe I can put a set of bearings on the shaft, and have them attach somehow directly to the fork ends on the frame.

sb2_1_1.jpg

sb3.jpg

I better hit ebay for some more jackshafts.

Remove that back sled,attach the rails to the axle....get a cruiser frame,keep the fork setup...happy time to large sprocket..epic win!

I got the gear off.

I didn't have to use the hammer. I guess the threat was enough.

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

Here it's just sort of leaning together.

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1903_1.jpg

Now the tough part. I need to attach the tracks to the bike in such a way that the pressure is on bearings. The shaft is 3/4", so finding bearings won't be a problem. I think I can attach a bike chainring to the existing gear, and there is about a 2:1 reduction in the tracks themselves, so I don't think that'll be a problem. I'll think about the bearings a bit. I am open to suggestions.

just a curiosity but how do you plan on getting it to start? Are you going to get a running start or adding a pull starter?

Back