Wollongong Australia, MB court case

The last one I know of that got busted in Adelaide represented himself and was fined $200. That was for over powered engine and evading police. Along with court costs his total was just under $600. If you pay the on the spot fine for no reg and no insurance it is $860 in Adelaide. I am a local bike builder here and am aware of a few similar cases all resulting in court costs and charges that have been less than the on the spot fine. The cops here are on a quoter system and if their numbers are down and you are on an over powered bike you are easy prey. I am not advising that going to court may always be your best option but from all the cases I have heard everyone was better off representing them selves and going to the courts, rather than coughing up the initial fine. Something to think about if you are ever faced with the unfortunate option.

The last one I know of that got busted in Adelaide represented himself and was fined $200. That was for over powered engine and evading police. Along with court costs his total was just under $600. If you pay the on the spot fine for no reg and no insurance it is $860 in Adelaide. I am a local bike builder here and am aware of a few similar cases all resulting in court costs and charges that have been less than the on the spot fine. The cops here are on a quoter system and if their numbers are down and you are on an over powered bike you are easy prey. I am not advising that going to court may always be your best option but from all the cases I have heard everyone was better off representing them selves and going to the courts, rather than coughing up the initial fine. Something to think about if you are ever faced with the unfortunate option.

In regard to representing ones self .
One thing I don't understand is why the cops can assume a bike has a overpowered motor when they book someone ?

The test equipment need to measure the watt output at the crank is specialized & generally not available for such small engines , this point about the actual power-output is critical to defend in court .
What I,m not sure about is who has to prove this output " the cops or the busted ?

:geek:

HI guys, to be honest your bike needs to go 25 miles per hour on a flat road with no wind assistance, some have it lower at 22 miles per hour. sorry imperial again, and i cant remember if its in KPH or MPH? so im going with the faster one,, anyway, that's a base speed for 200 watts of power, and interestingly from a legal point of view, electrical power, ie 200w hub drive, actually puts out more Horse power than a mechanical engine at 200w. we can Thank international standards for that one. So the courts have a lot to get used to.

It may not be much, but baffle them with mirrors, smoke screens "have a smoke". And its not taken into consideration with the courts, i bet. Because, they are not aware of it? could we start a fighting fund? or a body to make people aware of our plight.

Its a blunt argument i guess, I hit 85kph on my race bike under pedal power, with a kmart stack hat and skimpy nylon with bum padding my only real protection. way more than 25mph, and that's legal. I was in a 100 zone and i dont put out a horse power? or do i? Watt reduced the horse he measured output to half, then halved it again, to be safe,,, ,And, anyway, More people are killed in cars than on bikes every day, Then i want to put a say more powerful motor, or make mine go harder, so i can keep up with the traffic and become part of the flow, i do feel safer, and i can tell you! And tour de France riders do fall off at 115kph and survive. "mostly" . Or I could be equipped with a kevlar and graphene space helmet and Valentino Rossi's air bagged race suit. I cant, cause that would be illegal because, i may have a more powerful motor between my legs than your honor / majesty / worship does - "just".

anyway, im not a legal boffin. Im only trying to help you all, if i can, I am only stating the absolute truth about horse power and how it is worked out, its really easy, how much, how far, in what time, and i will happily stand up in any court of law, if they think they have made up their own new willy nilly law of science

Anyway, before anyone bunny hops the local cops, test your own bike. the 1/4 mile one is my favorite personally. aim for 60 seconds and you will be sweet. some calculators have it at 40 seconds. i also suggest that, because it has a standing start.

if you need to "reduce your horse power" and you have time!

your spark plug gap should be way too big (without hitting your piston crown!) or too small 160 thou clearance or clearance 0001 etc to do it, easy to fix, and unobtrusive ;)

leave the choke on, raise your needle, clog up your air cleaner filter with filtered sump oil "wash it in petrol later" get a bigger back sprocket or smaller front sprocket. tighten your brakes right up tight. so it just moves. clamp your fuel line. add another measure or 2 of 2 stroke oil. tighten your wheel bearings right up too,, screw it! so to speak. let down your tires a bit.

and stick something in your exhaust. a rock, your sock, anything that will shut off its exhaust flow.

extreme: back off your head bolts.
Reverse your cdi wires to get 30% of the voltage. Its not a good idea to leave them reversed for too long, but reduces voltage to the plug.
let your clutch slip by pulling the clutch lever or resetting the cable at either end. Pay to set it right in at the handle bar for easy twist out when needed,

and the one that will affect acceleration the most "weight" add weight to it, lots and lots. fill the frame with water and seal it. that would be a very deceptive/clever/sneaky way of doing it. They will be after me for water restrictions next, i guess? and dont forget to make yourself heavier and less aerodynamic

all the above are legal modifications, im sure?
I was trying to make it quieter? or save petrol? get to the shop on time?

night Phillip

Last edited:
In regard to representing ones self .
One thing I don't understand is why the cops can assume a bike has a overpowered motor when they book someone ?

The test equipment need to measure the watt output at the crank is specialized & generally not available for such small engines , this point about the actual power-output is critical to defend in court .
What I,m not sure about is who has to prove this output " the cops or the busted ?

:geek:

You are right bobbyoutback, they don't have the equipment to test such engines. Where I live they have always used a motorcycle rolling dyno to test the bikes which is far from accurate. When it comes to who has to prove the power output it comes down to you. If you have nothing and the cops have a rolling dyno reading (although not accurate) they have something more than you do to validate their case. If you can carry something convincing to verify your power assisted bike is 200w when first approached by police it is pretty unlikely they will pursue the matter.

HI i just found out, as of today, to import a motorized bicycle into Australia.

the bike must be under 50cc or go slower than 50km per hour! and 200watts
That's straight from the department of Infrastructure and Transport.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/ro...cles/general/EligibilityCriteria_2.aspx#ninec

Each state and territory have there own road rules. However, There is none i have seen in any state legislation to say otherwise. So the above is it. The people that rule the roads and everything on them. That exactly is what speed we are allowed to go, under its own power i imagine as i peddle faster than 50kph. So, the guy in Wollongong would not be guilty of speeding. His bike motor may be an 70cc.

Interesting point if anyone knows the answer? can i measure my cylinder volume from the top of the exhaust port. instead of the bottom of the stroke. Being that its not like a 4 stroke and only half the cylinder is usable or able to contain gases, fluid etc?

Phillip

Last edited:
Interesting point if anyone knows the answer? can i measure my cylinder volume from the top of the exhaust port. instead of the bottom of the stroke. Being that its not like a 4 stroke and only half the cylinder is usable or able to contain gases, fluid etc?

Phillip

While your assessment of the usable swept volume of the piston inside the cylinder in relation to the power stroke of a 2-stroke engine makes complete sense, do not forget that you are dealing with the legal system.
What makes sense to the logical and rational world is more often than not complete gibberish to them. If you had with you in court a mechanical engineer certified in internal combustion engine design and development, you might actually have a snowball's chance in heII to convince them that you are correct.

it's all good, i can order a 48cc top end etc, so end of that problem.
I need my bike. its fun, its earth friendly, (solar powered lighting) it costs me AU$1.80 to go 60km over a small mountain range. 90 cents each way,,, and to be honest, because i live in a remot'ish area. without it, my family of 6 would go hungry. We dont all fit in the same car now. and unless i sell my Porsche, and that aint gunna happen.. my bike is a must. Im not trying to fight the law. I only want it to be transparent and honest in regard to my liberties..

Phillip

You are right bobbyoutback, they don't have the equipment to test such engines. Where I live they have always used a motorcycle rolling dyno to test the bikes which is far from accurate. When it comes to who has to prove the power output it comes down to you. If you have nothing and the cops have a rolling dyno reading (although not accurate) they have something more than you do to validate their case. If you can carry something convincing to verify your power assisted bike is 200w when first approached by police it is pretty unlikely they will pursue the matter.

Hi SE,
I'm so tempted to get a legal 200watt gutless motor from Rock Solid & fit a shift kit .
Then ride it just under the urban speed limit until They Bust Me :geek:

Guess you can see where I'm going when its my time in court :whistle:

Bobby.

Back