Your MB vs insane gas prices

I just picked up a barn find, a 1995 Honda 250 enduro with 3500 miles for very short money. Just needs some regular maintenance and cleaning up and it'll be ready for spring. Actually there were a bunch of smaller motorcycles out there to pick from and I had a time of it choosing between the Honda and a 650 Suzuki for the same money.

I bought and built my rig BECAUSE of gas prices! My morning commute is 12 miles round trip and my beater old 'yota gets mediocre gas milage at best. After I built it, I found out what FUN they are to drive. No, they're not terribly reliable... but they are reliable enough. I'll have many converts this Spring, you'll see-
the Old Sgt.

just take your time getting to work make sure everything is tite and you would be suprised how reliable they are keep tools and masterlinks handy and you'll be fine

Anyone thinking of converting over to using their MB full time, or even a great deal more?

What's a great deal more than full time??

My answer is yes, I'm thinking of trying to use the bike more as soon as I can formalize a solid(safe) route.

Gas prices here are $4.18/gallon for 87 octane. It doesn't bother me much, because we live within 10 miles' radius of where we need to go. Each car travels less than 500 miles monthly.

HOWEVER, my coworkers are up in arms, especially when they pay $100+ for monthly parking. I'm cheap; I arrive early and park for free on the street.

When weather permits, I ride my MB to work, about 5 miles' distance. My Tanaka 47R engine uses regular gas, so thar's a plus.

In my case... I work 3 days a week and each way is 23 miles which totals out to 138 miles driven to and from work. I average right about 20mpg for the trip which comes out to 6.9 gallons.

~7 gallons times $5 a gallon is $35.... My GIANT GEBE is getting right about 140 miles to the gallon which makes this a $30 a week savings just in fuel, or $120 a month savings.

Have to change the math here a little as I finally got awarded my new shift I asked for...

Same 23 miles each way, 46 miles round trip, times 4 days a week is 184 miles a week. ( 4 ten hour shifts versus 3 twelve hour shifts )

~9 gallons times $5 a gallon is $45 a week in fuel for driving my SUV... Ye Olde GIANT GEBE would use 1.3 gallons a week costing ~$6.50

New savings of $38.50 a week or $154 a month!!!

NOW that is some serious money... as much as I love the comfort of AC, $154 a month is a lot of money

Have to change the math here a little as I finally got awarded my new shift I asked for...

Same 23 miles each way, 46 miles round trip, times 4 days a week is 184 miles a week. ( 4 ten hour shifts versus 3 twelve hour shifts )

~9 gallons times $5 a gallon is $45 a week in fuel for driving my SUV... Ye Olde GIANT GEBE would use 1.3 gallons a week costing ~$6.50

New savings of $38.50 a week or $154 a month!!!

NOW that is some serious money... as much as I love the comfort of AC, $154 a month is a lot of money

^^ no offense just saying lol, within a month of riding your mb with a total of $154, wouldnt it be most likely with the miles traveled on the that china motor would be in need of a change by the end of the month? lol, so the $154 would be spent on a new motor so in the end, it kinda breaks even? haha! just saying :D

ok the fuel in england is currently at £1.35 a litre so by convertion from memeory its 4.5 litre to a gallon. so 5 litres of petrol in english money is £6.75 so the current exchange rate £ for $ is about $2 per £1 so a gallon here costs $13.50 if im correct. so even running an mb is a joke over here.

im moving to america....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hawaii has the highest gas prices in America. However,the average driver here does not spend as much $$ as you guys. The islands are small, so commuting distance is shorter. I might travel 2,000 commuting to work in the whole year.
At $4.18/gallon, that's $335/yearly on fuel strictly for commuting.

A bus pass costs TWICE that amount. However, when you consider insurance, maintenance, fees, etc, it's cheaper but EXTREMELY inconvenient for me to "bus" it. The bus passes my house once an hour, plus I have two transfers. Then there's that waits at the bus stops.

Jesus Christ! Riding a motorized is the VERY BEST way and ABSOLUTELY CHEAPEST way to commute to work, death defying possibilities notwithstanding.

My thirsty Tanaka 47R gets maybe 50 mpg. However, no insurance, fees and cheap repairs for my bike. It would cost $167/yearly to commute for the year. With a GP460 engine, cost would be $113.00.

I have a 1985 Honda Elite 1500cc scooter I bought for $350. My good friend Hawaii fixed it for me, so I'll be using that as well as my MB's to cruise and commute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back