70cc bogging down at full throttle?

Moderator Advice

Hello All.
After logging on I noticed 3 threads dealing with the same problem on the first page. I have now combined them. I encourage all to search and post to an existing thread if one is available. Hope the solutions that are searched for will be found. A good place for any fuel mixture problem to be solved would be: http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=24867

Last edited:
Okay someone PLEASE answer this for me. I have a hole in the float. SO, I have put a small ball of duct tape in the bowl to basically have the float stay pushing up against the two prongs making that rocket ship pin to go up or whatever it does. It stopped the leaking. Is that a good idea for what I just did?...

Nope. Duct tape fail.
Seal the leak with epoxy. Clean it perfectly with a good solvent and some sandpaper and epoxy it.
You have to adjust the the prongs to get the right fuel level in the carb.

This is the ideal way to do it is to use the drain screw to connect a clear hose:
float-bowl-float-jpg.23594

To do this:
cleartube29.jpg

Another way is to read over these pages:
http://motoredbikes.com/threads/nt-carb-tuning-basics.24867/

Actually, check this out. I just made a float myself! It's the EXACT width! I tried posting a picture but wouldn't do it. So here's what I did. I used an Alieve cap. The night time PM one. Cut a hole in the center and BAM! It floats. And the same size as the float I have using now. Pretty smart huh?

I've had good luck dropping the float in boiling water to get all the fuel out, then painting all around the seam with epoxy, I doubt duct tape will last very long.

Okay so I am trying to figure out why at high RPMs my motorized 66cc 2 stroke bicycle is bogging down. It seems though as all of these threads start on this topic they all stray away as people get completely distracted by random stuff. At least 25 different blogs Ive seen this topic, but to no answer.

SOOOOO my stock 66cc/80cc 2 stroke w/ NT carb Its bogging at high rpm, full throttle, generally full speed. (Symptoms don't occur while parked with clutch lock on for me)
1- I believe that I've seen a few fairly close answers. The first is to adjust the needle inside of your carburetor if that does not fix it for you.
2- then make sure that you have no restrictive fuel flow from your tank via the tank filter or the inline filter also make sure that you have no air leaks on the carburetor to the motor. If still boggs down. Then try
3- whenever you are topping out the 66cc 2 stroke a ton of vibrations are going nuts on your motor etc. Ive read that the choke can be just lose enough to move to closed or slightly closed in the unison of high rpms, bumps on road, causing temperamental on and off bogging while 3/4-full throttle. Tightening up this screw had helped some people with the nt carb. I have not yet tried it.
4- vibrations can cause the fuel pouring into bowl to froth during full throttle, causing an odd mixture fuel to air while you are wrapping out the motor, and bogging. (This theory just does not seem logical though as fuel pours into fuel bowl and carb way faster than it can be taken......) adjusting float lower may cause fuel leaks but maybe smoother full throttle rpms.

5- this one might make #4 true. Apparently the stock motors clutches plates can be a little lose, or become lose with first couple rides due to heat and warming up. Will still work fine, grab, disengage. Doesn't stick or anything. But it's JUST lose enough to cause an immense vibration at full throttle, top speed, high rpms. This vibration does like a wagon wheel that you spin to fast, and then it violently wobbles too a stop..... But to the motor and whole bike just for a split second, causing a dragging feeling, a bogging also. The bogging could be cause the immense wagon wheel vibrations from clutch, are frothing the fuel, jigging the choke, making carb/ intake leaks.

CONCLUSION.
-Adjust clutch plates and clutch.
-Add rubber to motor mounts/ frame.
- tighten/ tune any possible intake leaks.
- Adjust needle/ float, clean filters.
- make sure exhaust is flush worth no leaks.

So i adjusted the needle. Richer one slot on a 5 slot needle it was on 3. Tightened up any possible air leaks. Took apart carb find my bottom gasket had vacuum leak. Made new gasket. Tightened head bolts (were lose). Tightened exhaust, and intake pipe. I tightened up choke. Adjusted plug gap to 31. I'm running 16:1 91octane motor has 50 miles on it.

I did not mess with my clutch, or filters, or fuel lines. Everything is still stock. Bought it from Wal-Mart.com 110$ on clearance.

THE INTERMITTENT BOGGING AT 3/4 TO FULL THROTTLE IS GONE NOW. I do not know what i did but it's gone. Bike runs 30mph now no problems at all. I hope something i did might help someone.

You i have had all these issues..and the answers i have read are great and true..but why is it that every bike is different..i say thats enough to make a rabbit slap a hound..

every motor can be different - factory quality control is crap - I see millimeter differences in ports, port mapping , and ring gaps all the time

Back