70s schwinn speedster project.

Have you ever thought of just taking out enough links where you do not even need a tensioner like I have done with mine???

So that also means that even with tensioners, there are still too many links in the chain for it to work anywhere near as good as what it needs to.
I have tried taking and adding links on both sides. I can get either side correct but not both at the same time. When one is tight the other is always too long.

Just got done with the 30 yard shake down:

Coaster brake didn't like the rube goldberg-ian strap. The spring loaded tensioner is still on but not doing anything because I simply felt lazy.

Don't have a mini mill or a jigsaw to cut a slot, so trial and error found the right spot for the idler sprocket. I need to put in a washer or two because the chain sometimes rubs the chainstays. Stripped a very small bit of paint, barely deep enough scratch but it'll be bad for the chain to run it like that

Funny thing about bike fit, even with an extra 20 or so pounds the bike feels lighter because of the properly adjusted saddle. Never got fast enough to feel any difference from the relatively low bars. I slammed the stem to increase reach but I prefer the bars roughly parallel to the seat. Right now the bars are around two inches lower than I like.

The frame has a nice geometry with the mtb 26 inch wheels though. Feels playful but stable.

The friction shifter throttle works pretty well, when pedaling begins to feel too easy give it a little push down, too hard a little pull up. The barcon position is closer than a stem shifter or gosh forbid a down tube shifter. If these didn't cost over 2 hundred they would be perfect for this application. https://www.gevenalle.com/product/audax/

Attachments

• 20231217_151247_HDR.jpg
    20231217_151247_HDR.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 20231217_151255.jpg
    20231217_151255.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 45
Back