Need some advice on a build.

cloakedvillain

Local time
3:45 AM
Recently I bought a 70s schwinn speedster to build a shifter bike and I'm not confident in the braking ability on rim brakes on chromed steel rims. I want to use xl sturmey archer drum brake hubs and swap the wheels for a size that is more common because ertro 597 tires are freaking rare and it would allow a wider tire.

But money is tight especially as the fall semester starts: I am spending most of my money on tuition and gas, and making 15 an hour working full time; although more than my last job it is not a lot, especially with a 40 mile commute and 34 mpg on the high way. Not to mention I will have to go down to 16 hours a week just to keep up with going to school full time.

Recently I bought a 70s schwinn speedster to build a shifter bike and I'm not confident in the braking ability on rim brakes on chromed steel rims. I want to use xl sturmey archer drum brake hubs and swap the wheels for a size that is more common because ertro 597 tires are freaking rare and it would allow a wider tire.

But money is tight especially as the fall semester starts: I am spending most of my money on tuition and gas, and making 15 an hour working full time; although more than my last job it is not a lot, especially with a 40 mile commute and 34 mpg on the high way. Not to mention I will have to go down to 16 hours a week just to keep up with going to school full time.
Back in the day, chrome wheels and rim brakes was all there was. Otherwise, it will be a slow build, only buy a part when you can afford it.

Back in the day, chrome wheels and rim brakes was all there was. Otherwise, it will be a slow build, only buy a part when you can afford it.
And thats if we "dumb" kids were even running brakes at all...lol.

In our day when we were young and dumb, stopping and breaking were not as important to us kids than going as fast as we could go down hill...lol....The trees and rocks would stop us OK...lol...lol.

And thats if we "dumb" kids were even running brakes at all...lol.

In our day when we were young and dumb, stopping and breaking were not as important to us kids than going as fast as we could go down hill...lol....The trees and rocks would stop us OK...lol...lol.
Thus the invention of the skateboard... 😆

I've hit the ground so many times riding a skateboard. All it takes is a single rock you don't see, a crack in the sidewalk, a twig, those yellow things in the found at crosswalks, and other little things.

When I was kid, we didn't have commercially made skateboards available to us...We made our own with a piece of board along with some roller skate wheels, a hammer and a few nails...lol...Don't ya know that was good for more than a few band aids and stitches...lol.

I've hit the ground so many times riding a skateboard. All it takes is a single rock you don't see, a crack in the sidewalk, a twig, those yellow things in the found at crosswalks, and other little things.
I had a skateboard with clay wheels It would stop on a dime if it hit a pebble the size of a BB, :ROFLMAO:

But then the good wheels Polyurathane were invented But skateboards still wren't like the ones ya got today
I made my own boards copying the Logan Earth Ski design as that was the board to have in my day.
It was all about freestyle riding tricks Then shortly it was all about riding the Bowl & the 1/2 Pipe came out.
It was all about catching air,
Today the skateboarding tricks are off the hook and there are public free skateboard parks everywhere. I can only dream about That

We had to ride drainage ditches

When I was kid, we didn't have commercially made skateboards available to us...We made our own with a piece of board along with some roller skate wheels, a hammer and a few nails...lol...Don't ya know that was good for more than a few band aids and stitches...lol.
Yep. my first 2x4 board had rollerskate wheels :ROFLMAO: Then I got the Board with Clay wheels,
Ouch I fell down alot because of sudden stops

My board is handmade by 9 ply Baltic birch plywood 😆

It's really flexible, and I prefer that. The flex yields a cooshy ride and helps the wheels bounce over road debris.

Back