A possible increase in hp?

A better set up would be a free flowing but adequate air filter element and the carb set up to handle the extra airflow. :eek:

Hi Augi, My name's Tom Franks. A while back my 48cc engine (1 yr old ) was really bogging down. I (finally!) traced the problem down to the exhaust being a bit clogged. I carefully broke up some of the carbon in the exhaust pipe, then cut out the baffle one inch from the end cap. Well, lol, that did the trick!! My fuel metering needle (main needle in carb) has 4 groove settings. What would the best setting be for this lean running engine in a hot, sunny place like San Antonio, Texas? 80-100 degree heat (most of the year) somewhat humid. Thank you for your expertise, Tom :cool:

if this turns into a topic, i'll split it off, so don't be shy.

tom, instead of expertise, i'll tell you what i'm up to right now...my local atmosphere is moist, but much cooler. i'm not sure what or how to adjust based on temperature. i'm sure someone here does.

i'm at completely sea-level, matter of fact i'm seaside. i have a new magneto & CDI, new ngk b6hs, new race quality wire & boot. i have a 6V/3W bulb wired thru a switch to the white wire. the air-cleaner is a full-flow homemade thingy, the muffler is gutted but capped with the small outlet. 44 tooth sprocket. 26X1.95 tires.

i got'er back on the asphalt this afternoon & been tweaking and test-riding all evening, finished the headlight after sunset.

i use 36:1 real oil pre-mix.

.020 spark plug gap.

mixture is set at 3rd slot down

slight bore on jet (yes, 'davo, i finally did it)

she starts & runs really great, pulls hard from a standstill all the way to top-end, no bogging. bike & rider weigh about 275 & with a digital speedo i show a top-end of 28mph.

i don't know if my parameters meet your needs, but i'm not getting a lot of carbon. people are gonna wanna know what you're running now: mix ratio & type, plug & gap, etc...

boy, i'm feeling good tonight, and i realised i mostly just rambled :LOL:

did any of that help? let's wait for the real experts to chime in...

Tom, can I help? Carbon build up is from an over rich (IN OIL) mixture...run the fuel oil mix at 36 or 40/1 synthetic oil (cheap at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Lowe's Home Depot, ect)

San Antonio is at what altitude? If you are 1000 feet or under, I would start at the second slot from the bottom. Third slot may be too lean. No power, hot running, engine seizure.

augi, glad you liked the "jet drilling" thing. :D

Hi, Joe, one thing abit odd about my motor is that when I recieved it (Feb. 06') the first thing I saw was a piece of paper that said to dismiss what the oil-fuel mix ratios were in the manual, and instead mix this: the 1st gallon they said to mix 7oz. of oil with 1 gall. the 2nd gallon mix 6oz. of oil with 1 gallon, and 3rd and thereafter mix 5oz. of oil to 1 gallon gas. Has anyone else heard of the Co. Birddog distributing doing this? Is this usual? I didn't get a actual 1:? ratio; just oz-gallons. :?

I ran about 30 minutes of break-in time with 20/1 Penzoil. I rode the next 15 miles or so at 36/1 with the same oil. After this gallon is gone, I'll go to my Poulan synthetic or Yamalube semi synthetic at 40/1.

Kinda the same thing as you describe, but with a lot less oil in my case.

It's safe.

Thanks alot, Joe. if it's safe to run with a 40:1 oil fuel mix, I'll do that then. I've had some unburned oil drip out of the exhaust before, so I'll cut back on the oil, then. And I'll set the metering needle at 2 grooves from the bottom. thanks again!! :D :cool:

What is the metering needle you guys are always adjusting. That is going to be a totally noob question. Are you talking about the idle adjustment?

the mixture needle is on end of throttle cable with circlip and c-washer
the idle adjustment is done with the screw on the side of the carb with the spring behind it

Back