motor troubles

Local time
5:19 AM
Hello all! My names Connor and I am about a week into owning my first (preowned) mb.

Earlier today on a ride to autozone I sprung a leak from my carb (NT) and managed to stop it, ive been having issues keeping bolts tight until getting threadlock, especially on the little expansion exhaust (banana looking one).

On my ride back i noticed the power was incredibly low, the engine stopped if I stopped, it was jerky at times and i was hearing like an air hiss pop sound. almost like popping a lil co2 canister or something.

The seller didnt know his fuel ratio and i dont have a gas can yet so i was running trufuel 40:1, probably gone thru a tank or so so far since purchase (2L). no fuel filter on the bike.

Im not exactly sure where to start as i've never worked with engines much, but i'd rather do some work than spend money.

In any case if at all possible! thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 20230428_123336.jpg
    20230428_123336.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 20230423_192105.jpg
    20230423_192105.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 76
In your description of the problems…

“Earlier today on a ride to autozone I sprung a leak from my carb (NT) and managed to stop it….”

“On my ride back i noticed the power was incredibly low, the engine stopped if I stopped, it was jerky at times and i was hearing like an air hiss pop sound…….”

First thing..
The carb leak you managed to stop… I would think you’re talking about a liquid fuel leak and not an air leak.

The low power, hissing, jerking could be, and most likely is, an air leak leading to extremely lean engine condition.

Maybe you can be a little more explicit about the carb leak you fixed and then do a search on this forum on air leaks.
What sort of leak…where was it…and how did you fix it.
An engine air leak is probably the biggest problem most encounter when getting started with a MB.

Before you can start to address tuning you have to correct any problems with fuel flow and air passage.

Welcome to the cult Connor 😆. The carb leak is no big deal, however it depends on where it is and how you fixed it. You likely developed an air leak in your carb gasket. Another thing, your mix is a little light on oil. The oil mix should be closer to 36 to 1. Are you running ethanol free fuel?

Welcome to the cult Connor 😆. The carb leak is no big deal, however it depends on where it is and how you fixed it. You likely developed an air leak in your carb gasket. Another thing, your mix is a little light on oil. The oil mix should be closer to 36 to 1. Are you running ethanol free fuel?
Yes .... welcome to the forum. I missed that...sorry.
Nice bike too!

Is that you...Connor? Standing next to your bike in the pic above?
Couldn't be...His T-shirt says Mommy's Little Monster, Connor would be the Big Monster...lol.

The look in little monsters eyes tells me he can't wait to gets a little bigger so he can take it our for a ride...lol.

Couldn't be...His T-shirt says Mommy's Little Monster, Connor would be the Big Monster...lol.

The look in little monsters eyes tells me he can't wait to gets a little bigger so he can take it our for a ride...lol.
I kind of realized that the little fellow beside the bike probably was not him. A bit of joke.
If that little dude standing next to the bike is typing on the forum and riding MB's then he's pretty advanced for his age.
....like Young Sheldon.

Back