Engine Trouble Bad machining/assembly

I usually order 30 or so kits at a time - I take the top end off to oil bottom bearings and base gaskets and inspect ports and oil cylinder walls. I can see the milling marks on top of cases and they line up perfectly which shows the cases were bolted together for milling before they had the cranks put in, and the milling made a perfect joint at the top. It is very rare that the case halves do not have a step after crank is in, so I'm asuming the crank is a bit off.

With the oiled base gasket, I've never had a leak there (but I have twp-stepped that seam a few times).

no big deal

Are you ever concerned the cylinder may be a degree or 2 off 90 degrees from the crank?

thanks for your input. I work on motors all the time, but I'm fairly new to this engine. I just didn't look quite right to me so I wanted another opinion

never worried about cylinder being off as no two are ever quite the same size and neither are the pistons - many years ago, I used to mic them all and try to match them up, but it just isn't worth the effort once you accept that these are disposable - 10 years ago when kits were in the $250 to $280 range, I rebuilt motors for some builders in town, but now I can sell new motors for $80 and it isn't worth it to fix them

just had a thought tho, some china guys sell gaskets cheap - if ordering maybe 100 of the thin base gaskets for around $10 could be done, then they could be cut in half to fill the low side

I get complete gasket sets including head gasket for one dollar from china, but the sets have thick base gaskets - maybe I'll look for thin base gaskets

I've read quite a few times that cereal box is fine for a base gasket, and although I haven't needed to I would try that before waiting for a gasket kit to arrive from China or wherever.

I've read quite a few times that cereal box is fine for a base gasket, and although I haven't needed to I would try that before waiting for a gasket kit to arrive from China or wherever.
I've cut my case halves gasket out of it and base gaskets, and cover gaskets, amongst other things. It works just fine.

Back