Bending Exhaust. A few questions.

Agreed. In the case of my 144F, it's carb has "issues", and when I yanked the end cap off of the stock muffler. that woke it up a bit. The whole build barely has 25 miles on it yet.
I don't have any experience with the 4 stroke bicycle engines but in a 4 stroke good breathing always helps. You might find that your motor frees up after awhile and running it some.

I don't have any experience with the 4 stroke bicycle engines but in a 4 stroke good breathing always helps. You might find that your motor frees up after awhile and running it some.
Hope so. Today, I took it out into The Real World, and Geez, what a fragile, wheezing, noisy little thing, compared to my Cheapo Hubmotor MTB that I take on the same route. This just fuels the fire for my Predator 212 project, if that ever comes together!

Hope so. Today, I took it out into The Real World, and Geez, what a fragile, wheezing, noisy little thing, compared to my Cheapo Hubmotor MTB that I take on the same route. This just fuels the fire for my Predator 212 project, if that ever comes together!
Jerry, Im just on the verge of building what most would want. A light motorcycle with pedals. I've got a frame fixture and everything. Getting pretty serious into the hobby.

Agreed. In the case of my 144F, it's carb has "issues", and when I yanked the end cap off of the stock muffler. that woke it up a bit. The whole build barely has 25 miles on it yet.
A couple of 4t exhaust characteristics FYI, if the primary tubes are narrow you will get more torque, if they are wide then you get higher rpms.

The steel in the header/muffler is pretty malleable. Either a hit with a hammer on the place it touches. Or I've just chucked the first couple of inches of the header between two 1"X2"'s in a sturdy bench vice and slightly bent the pipe away from the frame at the point it touches. You can also bend the pipe, close to the muffler transition, slightly again back towards the centerline of the bike so it doesn't hit your left pedal or foot. Do little bends just enough to clear

Don't forget to support the muffler body to your bike frame with the strap the kit come with. DSC00060.JPG

Last edited:
The bending with sand technique is called 'Mandrel bending' and it's preferably done with a torch to soften the area first.

Putting a dent in it will indeed work, it just appears a tad chatty and if u don't care about your work appearing a bit chatty then go for it. Personally I've done hundreds of custom exhaust and intercooler installations in performance applications and I have never dented a pipe to get around anything because I don't like to appear unprofessional but that's just me.

The bending with sand technique is called 'Mandrel bending' and it's preferably done with a torch to soften the area first.

Putting a dent in it will indeed work, it just appears a tad chatty and if u don't care about your work appearing a bit chatty then go for it. Personally I've done hundreds of custom exhaust and intercooler installations in performance applications and I have never dented a pipe to get around anything because I don't like to appear unprofessional but that's just me.
I've used hickey benders on heated pipe before. Works very good when trying to avoid kinks.

Back