boost bottles: yay or nay?

Plenty of other threads about this topic, I'd say use the search function and look into the multitudes of pages of people attacking and defending boost bottles.

Does the search function really work and if it does should I search once or...

Ah heck, go for it!

They shouldnt call them boost bottles. Misleading in my mind. It is suppose to make a vacuum that sucks up some pre-mixed fuel/air, then when your piston goes back down its suppose to release that mix to make up for the lack time in your carb catching up.

I have many doubts about that. I seriously doubt that little tube that runs to the boost bottle has enough volume to do this effectively.

Think of it like turbo on a car that forces air into your engine from that little turbine that works off your exhaust. Except its relying on vacuum to work, and a tiny little tube. In my mind, no way that little tube has enough voume to move 66cc or gas to the combustion chamber before it closes. But i digress.

The concept is that you get a boost bottle that matches the cc of your motor, and the vacuum just resonates back and forth and balances pressures between the cc and the bb.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showpost.php?p=305606&postcount=31
I would like the accordion style one that is shown in the most recent large thread - but that's actual delivery and extra induction, not just a resonating vacuum.

Yeah, see the size of the hose on that 50cc, compare to the motorized bike ones?? Thats where i think that the tiny little hose they give you in their kits is fail.

They do different things though.

One is vacuum (bb), the other is forced induction, so it's more like a turbo in a sense.

Tnx for posting the links above... I'm very interested in the boost bottles with the intent of gaining low end torque.
I'll need to fab my own, but first must read about proper dimensions.

And,

using one in conjunction with a tuned pipe. I gotta learn how to fab my own expansion chamber... then wrap it in a heat shield to look retro.

Best
rc

Back