Bothered by police?

edj707

Local time
1:18 AM
Do the police (Northern California, Eureka) typically pull you over even if you're obeying all traffic laws. I live in a small city and am wondering if I should expect problems if I go through with a build. Any input would be appreciated.

Do the police (Northern California, Eureka) typically pull you over even if you're obeying all traffic laws. I live in a small city and am wondering if I should expect problems if I go through with a build. Any input would be appreciated.

CA is 1 of the easiest states to be legal. Stop and ask an officer. In big metros you can get caught up with the popo if being stupid, generally they have too many other crimes to worry about.

How much the cops bother you is going to vary by locale, who’s on duty that day, and if they feel like bothering you. I rode with no tags, registration, or drivers license for 5-6 years in PA, in all that time, I was only pulled over once, and let go with a warning. But now I have my license and my bike is tagged and insured. I live about a minute from a state police barracks, don’t want to take any chances, and don’t advocate anyone else do either, but ultimately you’re the one who has to make that decision for yourself.

With all the ebikes on the streets these days, if you're not making a ton of noise or riding dangerously, no one is going to notice you.

Get your California M/B Moped plate, Fill out form #230 and mail it in along with $23 - One Time Fee
Your M/B is now a MOPED

Print form #230 and fill out sections 1, 2 & 5 It's easy, I'll tell ya what to do
Section 1
VIN# - Bicycle frame serial #
Engine # Put the first letter of the manufacture and CC size or just make one up and engrave it on the engine case
CA. license plate - leave it blank the DMV will give ya a license plate #
Answer yes to all questions in Section 2
Section 5 - Sign & date include a check for $23

Cops also like to see a head light and tail light
Do not ride on sidewalks or run stop signs & red lights Cops are Cool as long as you ride responsibly

I got a Moped Plate for my Whizzer M/B and been riding her for 18 years all over Ca. and put over 41K miles on her
I have to admit I keep my Moped Plate in my saddle bags because I like my Classic Whizzer Plate much better :LOL:
But I got it with me in case I'm ever asked by a Cop,

Attachments

• DSCF6256.JPG
    DSCF6256.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF6258.JPG
    DSCF6258.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF6260.JPG
    DSCF6260.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF9603.JPG
    DSCF9603.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF3708.JPG
    DSCF3708.JPG
    355.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF3705.JPG
    DSCF3705.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 26
With all the ebikes on the streets these days, if you're not making a ton of noise or riding dangerously, no one is going to notice you.
That's what I'm hoping, that is why I always peddle, so a casual glance will see someone peddling, not riding.

The one thing the new BC Ministry of Transport rules of October 2022 are quite clear on is no motor assisted bicycles shall be ICE motor driven. The new E-bike rules seem really ambiguous to me. From what I have read, technically many ebikes do not meet the new standards. The police do not have the time nor inclination to be too bothered by all this.

The powers seem to be on an emotional driven crusade to eliminate all gas powered vehicles no matter what the cost.

Back