Buying my first 4 stroke

He's trying to go legal-ish i'd say he said he wanted to limit his speed remember. Motorized bikes are pretty much all legal-ish. Pa says it's required to register as a moped and if you don't well the cops will do what they do best bother you.

He's trying to go legal-ish i'd say he said he wanted to limit his speed remember. Motorized bikes are pretty much all legal-ish. Pa says it's required to register as a moped and if you don't well the cops will do what they do best bother you.

not to be rude but if it has to be registered as a moped then whats the point of having pedals? because mopeds don't have pedals ..... well some do lol but it would make it more mopedy just asking

In order to be legal in IL it needs a couple of things : top speed of 20mph, still have the plain ole regular cycling ability intact, a motor of not more than 1 HP (doubt they can prove this in court), rider needs to be at least 16 years old, and less than 50cc. If these things are all true then no drivers license, registration, or insurance are required.

Thanks for the links. I had already planned on buying a better sparkplug, but also getting the chain is a good idea too. I also plan on tossing the garbage hardware and buying US nuts/bolts.

I think I'll go with the Ebay kit, since this is sort of a test, and after I graduate, I can upgrade.

Does the muffler need any additional support? I remember having a childs ATV muffler (that looked similar) break off before. I'm surprised this one doesn't have some sort of frame bracket of some kind to put further down the muffler.

So I just thought of something. What if instead of getting a ridiculously large sprocket, I get a slightly larger one to get some low end power, like maybe a 48T, and then wire up the throttle such that when it is wide open, I only go about 20mph. Is that even possible? Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, and the clutch was the one that I could tinker with on my 2 stroke.

Just found these kits for about $140 over on Alibaba.com too.

Last edited:
Get the Ebay Kit, Replace all the nuts and bolts, Get a Sprocket Hub adapter if possible don't use the rag joint, the kit comes with a muffler clamp for support, just run a plan 44-40 Tooth so you got more speed later on maybe when down back roads with no officers, For your question on wire up the throttle such that when it is wide open, I only go about 20mph

YES YES you can i've done it in a weird way, when you goto put the throttle in this ebay hit into the engine get some of them Brake Barrels

So when you pull the throttle it will hit the end sooner or think it hit the end sooner, the more you attach the sooner it will hit

Untitled.png

I had to do this because i built a bike for a kid and his mother was afraid of him going to fast well now sometimes i think he can pedal faster lol

Last edited:
You could also solder a piece of metal onto the cable or even put 2 small pieces of metal and screw them to the cable so when it goes to enter the grip it stops, there are many ways just gotta think of how you would want to stop of the cable from moving

I've had a throttle limiter on my 4-stroke bike since 2012. It started out being unintentional, but I ended up going back to it.

My 4-stroke bike has a "Go-Ped trigger" mounted on left-side. This is prolly the cheapest throttle one can buy, it's less than $5:

Trigger-Staton-Inc.jpg

I use it because I have never liked twist-junk on my handlebars. Anyway, because of the design of the Diamond Back "BMX Park" bars I use, the trigger didn't have it's full stroke where I wanted it mounted. So I shimmed it. Well, my bike at full-throttle isn't all that much quicker than at half-throttle off the line, but it does have a knack for beating up stuff, usually tubes and tires. So I yanked out the wedges/shims and now have roughly half, prolly less, of full throttle. I've lost just about all my 30+ unless I pedal like a madman (my bike allows pedal-assist to 45MPH), but 25-30 is plenty for me! Easy pedal, easy engine work.

there was an interesting set screw type of throttle stop on my 4 wheeler with thumb throttle. it was adjustable underneath the bars, long screw ran thru the throttle mount, ,

BB is offering the same kits you see on ebay but higher price, , MBRebel is a good site for sprockets and wide pedal crank