Carb alignment

DuctTapedGoat

Local time
1:45 PM
I am a classic person. Doesn't it make sense to install the engine so that the carb is perfectly level.

If not, what is the optimal running angle? A chart vs speed would be appreciated.

I am a gassy person. I eat too much pasta.
I think it makes sense to have it level enough, but when you ride the bike uphill and downhill it isn't really level anymore.

The orientation of the engine is dependent on the rear mounts which are perpendicular to the seat tube of the bicycle. The manifold is.. whatever angle they made it.
Would you use metal tube and bend it specifically for perfectly levelling the carb (only when you are on a perfectly level road)?

I'm waiting for an offset intake manifold to arrive, but the picture makes it look like it doesn't have a bend to *level* the carb at all. I'll be extending the intake. So I found some 45° bent automotive radiator hose on eBay will hopefully work ok with fuel and be rigid enough to resist the vacuum. I guess most flexible hoses won't be as good for tuning the intake as there's a pressure wave involved, and could be more difficult to get the carb rigidly mounted to the seat tube to avoid foaming, too. I'm not going to use a spirit level to get the carb angled just right because.. hills.

I am a gassy person. I eat too much pasta.
I think it makes sense to have it level enough, but when you ride the bike uphill and downhill it isn't really level anymore.

The orientation of the engine is dependent on the rear mounts which are perpendicular to the seat tube of the bicycle. The manifold is.. whatever angle they made it.
Would you use metal tube and bend it specifically for perfectly levelling the carb (only when you are on a perfectly level road)?

I'm waiting for an offset intake manifold to arrive, but the picture makes it look like it doesn't have a bend to *level* the carb at all. I'll be extending the intake. So I found some 45° bent automotive radiator hose on eBay will hopefully work ok with fuel and be rigid enough to resist the vacuum. I guess most flexible hoses won't be as good for tuning the intake as there's a pressure wave involved, and could be more difficult to get the carb rigidly mounted to the seat tube to avoid foaming, too. I'm not going to use a spirit level to get the carb angled just right because.. hills.

I'm thinking every bike has a different angle thus different carb manifold installation angle. I don't even think I've done a perfectly leveled carb ever, maybe it would be amazing.

Back