Carb Jets

Can someone educate me on why atmospheric pressure has anything to do with airflow to carburetors? I would assume a larger intake and air rushing in at 35 mph instead of 1 mph or whatever it is usually will cause more air to flow into the carburetor.
I explained it above when you first posted,this is a 2 stroke not a 4 stroke and the intake is not a constant as it is with a multi cylinder 4stroke with constant vacuum.A 2 stroke rely's on atmospheric pressure going through the carb in pulse's.A bigger carb/venturi requires the engine to create a larger vac before it will in more air/fuel,as Chris said you can't push more into it that's just not how it work's!

Actually the 14.7 is the ideal AFR (air fuel ratio) which is 14.7:1. If you want more air/fuel to go through your engine, it has to be ported. A bigger carb and bigger exhaust or like GreasyChris says TURBO!
No actually I WAS referring to atmospheric pressure of 14.696 to be exact! The stoichiometric ratio of 14.7 is corrected by jetting to match the air flow.

I explained it above when you first posted,this is a 2 stroke not a 4 stroke and the intake is not a constant as it is with a multi cylinder 4stroke with constant vacuum.A 2 stroke rely's on atmospheric pressure going through the carb in pulse's.A bigger carb/venturi requires the engine to create a larger vac before it will in more air/fuel,as Chris said you can't push more into it that's just not how it work's!

the "spitback" effect demonstrates perfectly (IMO) how the vacuum/intake demand ends,..and momentarily goes the OTHER way,...rendering any sort of air-ramming practically useless?? all you can do is make it as easy as possible for that tiny motor to inhale. (one example: low restriction air filters.)

Last edited:
Actually, I know the reed valve works, but what about the other ones and how do they compare to the reed valve?

No, they all work when used properly but that all depends on your port mapping and the tuning of your pipe. You just cant bolt on a wider intake and expect miracles.

Back