Chain tensioner problems and bike wheel spacing

Toby woodman

Local time
6:54 AM
I was out for a lovely sunset ride the other night but just as the sun set, I encountered an unusual problem. The plastic tensioner wheel had come off. Does anyone know how it happened because I tightened everything down only a few minutes before this happened.

Secondly, I have been running a bike wheel like this with an extra nut threaded onto the axle to make the wheel the right width for the dropouts. Is this safe?

Attachments

• IMG_4986.jpeg
    IMG_4986.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4987.jpeg
    IMG_4987.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4988.jpeg
    IMG_4988.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4966.jpeg
    IMG_4966.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4965.jpeg
    IMG_4965.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 59
I was out for a lovely sunset ride the other night but just as the sun set, I encountered an unusual problem. The plastic tensioner wheel had come off. Does anyone know how it happened because I tightened everything down only a few minutes before this happened.
I don't run tensioners at all precisely because that happened to me years ago when the tensioner wheel exploded into a million pieces on me, since then I cut my chains down for exact fit.

Secondly, I have been running a bike wheel like this with an extra nut threaded onto the axle to make the wheel the right width for the dropouts. Is this safe?
At least with a steel frame, No Problem, I have a spacer nut on my bike rear axle too because I had to stretch the frame some to accomodate my disk brake rotor so the it can clear the frame rather than press up against it.

I'm slightly concerned about your nut spacer. I can't see how many threads the axle nut is grabbing onto. If the axle nut doesn't have a good amount of threads if can strip and pop off. I fixed this problem by using a kid's bike axle. For some reason it was almost 4 inches longer than the stock one.

the nut has about 5 or 6 threads before i start tightening it. i did centre the sprocket when i set the kit up. this is my 5th one now so i have some experience although it has probally moved a bit so i will readjust it. I have a spare tensioner wheel but the bearing has a lot of play in it already. can I use something else, like a skateboard wheel.I have the chain as short as I can get it at the moment. it would probally just about stay on the sprocket with no tensioner but then it rubs against the frame so I need at least something to rest the chain on.

Thanks. For now could I replace the bearing in an already worn tensioner wheel. I think they use a 609z which is 9x24x7

Back