choosing a bike

bvtin

Local time
8:01 AM
I am just getting into putting a motor on my bike and i found an old school cruiser on craigslist. its a step through model where the top tube comes down parallel with the bottom tube, the other bike i might use is a 24 speed road bike with a 20 inch top tube. im thinking the cruiser would a better bike to mount a motor on im just worried about where i will have to put the gas tank so low and close to the engine. any thoughts?

I think I'd pass on both bikes, if I were you.

The step through can not take a china girl engine. Not realistically, anyway. And the road bike probably would take it, but I'd avoid it because of the narrow rims and tires.

Why don't you keep on looking on craigslist for a decent mountain bike. Or pick up a $100 beach cruiser from Wal-Mart? Either one of them is a decent choice.

Though you will find folks who disagree that a cheap bike is okay. Still, a lot of us get along with them just fine.

I agree with Bluegoatwoods about looking for a better bike. I suggest a hard tail steel frame mountain would be the best choice. You may even find a good used one in a pawn shop.

If it were me I'd scour craigs or pawn shops and get a deal on a good brand name bike. Trek, GT, K2 etc. You'll get a much better quality bike for the money. Walmart bikes can really hit your pocket book if things fail on them from the cheap parts they use. This is from someone with experience with wally bikes. But it's a good cheap way to start out though.

Back