Clutch pad question?

markjs

Local time
3:26 AM
So I am having some clutch issues. I think I have been too hard on it doing slower startups than I should. Anyway it slips when trying to start, but not once running so much. I'm also thinking my size and the amount of hills around here means I will burn through clutch pads faster than most folks will.

So LA Hover Bikes said the grey pads with the checkerboard lines on them are better. But then I'm watching a BikeBerry video that says the opposite, that the "eraser" style pads are stronger and wear out slower. I do notice most of the "heavy duty" pads advertised for sale are of the grey kind with the lines on them.

So while I trust LA Hover more in general, what is folks experience? I notice all the stuff that has collected in the cover is grey, so I suspect I have those kind originally.

Anyway thank god clutch pads are so cheap and easily replaced. I was thinking of buying a grey set and one of those bags with a whole bunch of eraser style ones, just to keep on hand because they can be had for cheap. But then if there is a significant difference, might as well buy the best ones I can.

So what's the actual deal?

So LA Hover Bikes said the grey pads with the checkerboard lines on them are better.
He is very correct, the same pads that I use...The very first MB that I built around 11 years ago came with the red clay like "eraser" pads.

They were cooked, burnt, blackened, and slipping like hell in only three days time, totally fried, I switched to the black and whites and never looked back...I still have that old motor with quite a few thousand miles on it with those black and white pads still in it and still quite usable.

Heres a bag of 60 low priced pads, the same ones I use.
https://www.amazon.com/KQTshangmao-...=sr_1_8?keywords=motorized+bike+clutch&sr=8-8

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
He is very correct, the same pads that I use...The very first MB that I built around 11 years ago came with the red clay like "eraser" pads.

They were cooked, burnt, blackened, and slipping like hell in only three days time, totally fried, I switched to the black and whites and never looked back...I still have that old motor with quite a few thousand miles on it with those black and white pads still in it and still quite usable.

Heres a bag of 60 low priced pads, the same ones I use.
https://www.amazon.com/KQTshangmao-...=sr_1_8?keywords=motorized+bike+clutch&sr=8-8
I'll definitely pick up some of those ASAP. I see all grey dust collecting at the bottom, but my pads might be the eraser kind, not sure, haven't looked. I just know with the hills here and such, I will definitely be going through clutch pads faster than most folks.

Makes me wonder if purchasing a super clutch could be a better option? I hear they're actually much easier to work on?

I've already decided, as soon as I can afford, I plan to buy a second engine, maybe rebuild this one. I plan to either buy the "ported" 5HP Wildcat with the reed valve and such, or his Minarelli hybrid "6HP" motor. I'd probably install that and that will give me the freedom to play with porting this old one and such. Will be a couple of months likely, but should be fun.

I suspect the ported Wildcat may be a better buy, not just because it's less money, but I suspect that engine will have less issues than the Minarelli build?

Anyway these the two choices. I guess a super clutch for either will be a necessary upgrade to go with that power, which is essentially double what this kit I'm running now produces.

c944a5_02e0da34d2f54656815cee52b144852a~mv2.jpg

Wildcat Ultra Minarelli 6hp Race Engine

c944a5_22801d43e563466ca2c9202016eafbd0~mv2_d_4032_3024_s_4_2.jpg

Wildcat PRO Racing Engine 80cc (Ported) 5HP

As I said, looks to me like this second one is the sweet buy, particularly because it comes with the reed and everything included.
That would allow me to be able to play with the other motor and mods I can do, and still have a strong runner while I mess with this other.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Get the minarelli
Well obviously a Minarelli has the rep and all, but what might win out for me is spending $40 less and not needing a reed or a carb, plus I'm not sure I could get an exhaust to fit the Minarelli, because it doesn't cant to the side like a normal cylinder.

In the end I could see myself buying both, eventually. For now I gotta do what makes economic sense.

I've even considered trying to find just a 4 stroke engine, and using it with the kit I have now, and the idea of a 4 stroke does have appeal, but everything I have read is that the mounting of the engine is a major problem with 4 stroke builds. That in many cases it's almost impossible to get the engine securely mounted to stay on those terrible 4 stroke mounting plates.

As much as a 4 stroke sounds cool, probably more trouble than it's worth. Plus there are nearly no "engine only" 4 strokes for sale; seems like full kits are all that can be has.

Back