CVT CVT Project On Restored Cruiser

Robot Dude,
I drilled the factory sprocket just for poops and giggles. Drilled like butta. Also, I'm guessing that the chain run on a goped is alot smaller than a bike. On my cruiser setup, I've got 18" between sprockets so over 36" of chain. It was whippy as all getout with #41. I added a 2nd tensioner on the return side today as that was bouncing pretty good too. I'd be afraid that a whole lot smaller chain at that length might be all over the place. But, like I said, I'm new to the chain stuff. However, I don't see why #35 wouldn't be OK.

Some updated pics

Here are some of the latest photos with lighting and horn setup. Just a little bit more to do on the elec. charging system. The bike has been running great with about 100 'local' miles on it so far. Ready to take it on some further outings now that the lights are working. Then maybe I'll start tweaking the gearing, etc.
WC

Attachments

• Finishing Touches 001.jpg
    Finishing Touches 001.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 295
  • Finishing Touches 004.jpg
    Finishing Touches 004.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 291
  • Finishing Touches 005.jpg
    Finishing Touches 005.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 290
  • Finished Rack.jpg
    Finished Rack.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 303
Nuttsy,

it's SWEET, love the HD Electra Glide style light bar and horn, fits into the whole bike real nice.

charging system ?

i must have missed something, how are you working that out ?

steve

I gotta say that Ive got a problem with rackmounts, but thats my hangup. Actually this is a pretty classy looking ride....especiallt the light/horn setup. Im diggin' it.:cool:

DT,
Yeah, I'm going to use a 12V-6W tire scrubber with a bridge rectifier to change the A/C generator to D/C (unregulated) voltage. That will be used to keep the battery charged, albeit only somewhat as I'm running about 40W. I expect on my voyages, I'll be using more current than charging. But, if I can get from the battery life of 2.5 hrs. to say, 3-4 hrs. it will be worth it. This will all be tucked into a Power Distribution Center (probably a small camera bag, lol) behind the seat. I'll probably start a thread in the lighting section if there is some interest. Nothing new or earth shattering tho.

Funny story; in my road testing the drive train, I wanted some lighting for safety's sake. So I hooked up the generator and the headlight. Well, I came down a local hill at about 35ish MPH and the 9W bulb I had in the main headlight must have gotten SOOOO bright and hot that it melted the reflector of the headlight! Must have looked like a SUPERNOVA for a few moments, till it flashed and blew! lol. I didn't know the reflector was plas-tek. The generator, when tested, got up to 48V!!! (no load) Will use an LED 1156 ~ in the future for cooler operation. Its only for a 'be seen' light anyway.

Youngbird, I'm witcha! When I saw the look of the rack on my bike I ALMOST abandoned the whole project...HATED THE LOOK! was thinking of going to a push trailer or side car/pusher. But I came too far and decided to keep on with it. From a performance standpoint, IT IS GREAT! Looks...kinda grow on ya later. I started out wanting to do a frame mount but didn't want to go to jackshafts and alot of welding, extra gearing, etc. Utility-wise, with the rack mount, I lose a place for a basket, trunk bag, etc. and all the weight is over the rear wheel. However, I've got 11ga. spokes and have run this beast over some of the roughest roads in my area; deliberately! The rack is solid and the spokes/driven sprocket are holding. On my old friction setup w/14ga. spokes! I'd be walking. haha
Later Date,
WC

Once you get that awesome bike running the way you like, come ride with us in St Petersburg with it!

Nuttsy, I've been thinking about running a rack-mount to the cranks ala SBP Shifter. Did you consider doing that?

i have one of the cvt i got out of the scrap yard for 1.25.it has a chrome cover.i like your build but i think you shoulda put the chain on the other side of the wheel.that woulda centered it up nice.even if u half to weld a sprocket on the biggest bike gear.

Back