Decking the case, any suggestions?

francisjohn

Local time
1:31 AM
I am working on my MS440 build. I just got my engine in yesterday and it's a 38mm crank which is perfect. I do need to deck the case approx 2mm.

I know wet sand on top of glass is ideal. I am thinking about using an orbital sander, and putting marker over the deck so I can see if I am having any high spots etc. I'm thinking going aggressive for the 50% (40gr-80gr) and then working my way up grits to finish it off.

Thoughts?

The problem with using a sander is it isn't goind to sand square. If you have the money id suggest taking it to a machine shop

The problem with using a sander is it isn't goind to sand square. If you have the money id suggest taking it to a machine shop
I called machine shops originally, there were only x3 who were willing to do it, and the lowest quote was $125, highest was $250. It isn't so much the money is the issue, it's just I don't care that much to pour that kind of money into it.

oh @GW's Motorized What about a 1/4 sander? I forgot I had one of those. I think that would work better if anything.
You sould still have the issue of it not being square. Imo your best to snaf it on a piece of glass with some coarse grit sand paper. It will take a long time. But its much easier to keep square and not go too far

I agree with GW. If you go at it with an electric sander, chances are you will get it out of square. I'd suggest to start with 100. I think you will be surprised how soft the material is and how quickly it will be removed. Even 100 is aggressive so take it easy and dump the filings off the paper often.

Back