Exhaust DIY Exhaust Pipe

Interesting. I will most likely start out with dc welding and wait on the diy microwave setup, though I do appreciate your concern. Microwaves, I am aware, are very dangerous when care isn't taken when dealing with them.

In regards to the carbon arc welding, I am certainly going to have to broaden my understanding of basic welding concepts. If nothing else, it could be great fun to pull out some batteries and jumper cables and weld up something. I'd be hoping for the onlooker to start saying "well, in my opinion TIG welding is superior to stick welding..." Really, ok then....

Hey, some of out best abilities come from the intent to either impress or show up someone, lol.

Steven

carbon arc welding. becomes a bit more like TIG, where you need the filler rod. the carbon itself tends to produce the shielding gas.

probably better to just use standard electrodes, really ;) good old 6013, 2mm if you can find them that thin anymore!

and be careful with microwave trannies! they spit out unregulated 1000v + normally you rewind the secondary with heavy guage wire, and a lot less turns!

using a car battery (or 3, really, need at least 30 volts...) you run the current through one side of a transformer, use it as a big inductor. keeps the arc smooth.

You would probably need a transformer with some pretty heavy gauge wire to stop it from melting, but I've never been into a microwave transformer (or a microwave at all) so idk.

What about putting a nice big cap across the batteries?

Electric motor start up cap? (forget the proper term)

Yup, from the sound of your income/expenses it's true. You really can't just buy a new muffler at the drop of a hat.

Sorry to hear it. And I hope better times for you are coming soon.

So I've got another suggestion. It's more serious than it might sound. Get yourself a pedal bike also. There's gonna be times when your MB is down. You're going to still need to get to work. It'll save you on gasoline. (And it's a cryin' shame that a man who gets around on something as gas friendly as an MB has to worry about that.)

I ride an MB and a pedal bike. I'm pretty fanatic about both. One of the advantages is when I go out in the morning with one of the bikes in mind and then find, say, a flat tire it's not a big deal. I just ride the other bike and I deal with the repair when it's more convenient.

I kind of do follow your suggestion. I have a couple of times unhooked the drive chain and pedaled to work. Honestly, I should do so more often, but I must say, it's not exactly flat here. I can motor-bike to work in about half an hour. Pedaling without being used to it takes me near 2 hours and I walk about 2/5ths of the way (rough guess). After about 2 weeks of constant pedaling, I've managed to get it down to about an hour trip. At that, I am in pain up until I get off work and start pedaling back, lol. I do manage to recover overnight, but about 3 blocks the next morning and my body kicks in with the "Oh, #3// no...."

Still your suggestion is very valid. And even 2 hours pedaling most of the way is better than a 10 mile walk, lol.

Steven

Back