Does Anyone know what the benefits are for a Dual Chain 4 stroke engine?

You dont give much information for a girl to work on... but I suspect that if you are talking about mobike engines you would be talking about a single vs a dual chain drive.

As ever - the more you have of something in any kind of drivetrain the more reliable it will be, assuming duel chains in a single run. However there will be a small price to pay in weight and inertia.

If you are one of the various walking arguments for insanity that think its a fantastically spiffing idea to mate a pushbike with the nearest nailhead V8 you can lay your hands on, you are probably talking timing chains - in which case two are only really needed when you do silly things like pushing a RB V8 to 650hp.

Whatever set up you are using the amount of power these engines put out is usually well within a good chains capability - the weaker links are usually the spokes and sometimes stressed parts of the frame etc.

xx

Good to see a post from JemmaUK again. Most frame mounted engine kits use a separate chain powered by the engine. If you use a jackshaft/shift kit, you can drive the pedal chain with the engine through the multi-speed gears on your bike. It is personal preference. I hope I answered your question.

Wow! Hey JemmaUK: you are an intriguing motoredbikes.com member. I'm looking forward to hearing more from you in this space.

selldoglee: I think wheelbender6 probably answered your question adequately. Myself: I've got a dual-chain setup (like the majority of motorized bicyclists): Huasheng 142F 4-stroke and a Q-Matic drive with hefty #41 chain on the LEFT side of my bike. And a regular bicycle chain driven by pedals with a single-speed, coaster brake hub driving my bike from the RIGHT side.

Any further questions...please ask.

Right, Jerry. And, chains don't stretch:

Riders often speak of "chain stretch," a technically misleading and incorrect term. Chains do not stretch, in the dictionary sense, by elongating the metal by tension. Chains lengthen because their hinge pins and sleeves wear. Chain wear is caused almost exclusively by road grit that enters the chain when it is oiled. Grit adheres to the outside of chains in the ugly black stuff that can get on one's leg, but external grime has little functional effect, being on the outside where it does the chain no harm.

Source: sheldonbrown.com

Back