Safety Does it scare you?

Does it scare me? sometimes.

I started riding motorcycles when I was 12 years old. That's 44 years ago. I started with a Honda 50cc. When I turned 15 I got a honda 305 from a RED&WHITE friend of mine.(His son outgrew it.) At that time he gave me the best advice I've ever heard before or since. PRETEND YOU'RE INVISIBLE. Nobody see's you, EVER.
This has saved my behind more than once. People backing out of driveways,Changing lanes without looking, or so much as a turn signal,ect.
I have not seen my friend for more than 25 years and he is still saving my life.
Thanks Animal,
Big Red.

I personally try to be as safe as possible within reason. I usually wear gloves to protect my hands (and helps with the vibrations), glasses in case of bugs or any road debris, long pants and proper shoes. I have a helmet, but I tend not to wear it because i feel it makes me less alert. And plus, if i were to get hit so hard that a helmet would save my life, what about the rest of my body.... would I really still want to live anyway. I'm not advocating not wearing a helmet or trying to be foolish, but it is very much a personal choice and you have to make that choice your self after balancing the pros and cons.

I have a helmet, but I tend not to wear it because i feel it makes me less alert. And plus, if i were to get hit so hard that a helmet would save my life, what about the rest of my body.... would I really still want to live anyway.

I know people do and don't wear helmets for lots of personal reasons, but in direct response to your statement-- you can suffer from pretty severe head trauma from a fall that isn't bad enough to do crippling damage to your body. It doesn't take a lot of speed or force to get a concussion.

But I do know that helmets aren't always the difference between life and death-- a friend of mine was killed on his motorcycle though their wasn't a scratch on his helmet. He was a "poster child" for motorcycle safety, but the hit he took broke his neck. Gawd, I'm gonna make myself cry... :(

If 20 years as a motorcycle highway patrolman taught me anything, its that anything can happen to anyone at any time... this is no reason to NOT to ride.
Be safe, OBEY ALL TRAFFIC LAWS!
Wear a good helmet, eye protection, gloves and foot wear.
Most people get in there cars and they think they are wearing armor or are anonymous.
BE HIGHLY VISABLE...
If you think they don't see you, your probably right... stay away from them if you can...
Its always better to slow down and let the guy that's in a hurry pass.
Learn to watch car drivers body language and hands...
Most people telegraph there intended actions...
A "hand over hand" position on the steering wheel could indicate the possibility of a sudden turn or swerve...
Most people lean away from the inside of the car door when reaching for the door handle...
NEVER NEVER NEVER take for granted that some one else will drive properly or obey traffic signs or signals.
Its Murphys Law... if they can screw it up... they will, if they can run a yellow or red light or stop sign they will.
No right or left turns? well that didn't mean me...
Use my turn signals before a turn?... why bother... this road belongs to me...
65 MPH in a 35 zone? I'm in a hurry...
(I used to keep photo copies of all the revoked or suspended drivers licenses I scored over the years pinned over my desk at headquarters, I wont mention how many, But if I saved even one life each I did something good)
Be ready for the criminally stupid!

It just ticks some people off to see a biker shoot by in the breakdown or right lane... watch out for opening car doors and big mirrors...
Yes I've see it happen, I even arrested some one for it....
The rider wasn't breaking any law, He was exiting the Highway...
Yet some yahoo saw him coming in his rear view mirror and decided it might be funny to throw his cars passenger side door open...
That showed me criminal intent, I was on him like white on rice...
The rider was killed... the car driver was charged with manslaughter and served 7 years in prison.
I thought it was hilarious that you would do something THAT STUPID if you already have a seriously bad driving record.
Bye Bye fool...Give my regards to Bubba and the rest of the boys in the showers.
I had to go tell the riders family WHY there dad wasn't coming home.
<sigh>
I still ride as often as possible... I've had my share of accidents... but that wont stop me from the sport and pass time I love.
Oh yeah, make sure you have good medical insurance, and it covers motorcycle or riding accidents.
BBB

Last edited:
Idiots on the road.

Hey buzbikebklyn1,
Good for you, I just think 7 years for taking a life, ON PURPOSE (kinda) is not nearly enough time. I've also seen things that would make your hair stand straight up. Things that just leave ya saying, huh, W.T.---HECK. People on cell phones really get to me. (not paying attention, ya think?)
My favorite one of all time was the little old Aisian lady that tried to make a right turn from the left lane, At a light, As it turned green she gunned it, Whipped it right, in front of me. As I was already moving, I had to hit the brakes to avoid hitting her broadside. She then looked at me (Like it was my fault)and said,"What, You no see my turn signal? All I could do was yell, YOU CANT DO THAT FROM THAT LANE, as she drove off.
But you are right, Be ready for anything,anytime.
As far as helmets go, I think it's safer to wear one but I, or anyone, Should NOT have the right to force another to wear one. If ya wanna, possibly, spend the rest of your life drooling in a cup, You should have that right. I was once VERY anti-helmet. Tie on a bandanna, slap on the shades and go. But it seemed like every time I laid my bike down I bumped my head pretty good on the asphalt. So now I CHOOSE to wear one. Anyway, to each his own.
(Just my opinion)
Thanks for letting me bend yer ears,
BIG RED.

It doesn't bother me that something could go wrong. If it does i'm guessing it was meant to be. It's a risk you take to enjoy yourself.

I've crashed once on my first build which was caused by the chain coming off at a speed of 45km/h. It hurt and i learnt from my mistake. but i still ride my new build everyday without worry. There is a risk with everything we do so its not like its any different from driving a car or anything.

My lovely wife asked if she could ride my bike withe the Robin EH035 after practicing a few weeks on my old GEBE 25CC. My bike is a Univega MTB upgraded with all lighter components and fitted with a Staton Friction Drive kit and a 1.50" drive roller. I regularly swap out engines and usually run her with a Mitsubishi TLE43 that will easily hit 42 MPH. I Have been running it with the Robin EH035 lately because I have been doing weekend trips of 70 miles. With the little Robin it can still go a little over 30 MPH. Well my lovely wife does the first few laps around the smaller streets with no problems then decides to take it out on a major Boulevard and disappears from my sight. 30 minutes later I see her walking back with my bike. The front wheel was wobbling and the carb was exposed. The air filter assembly was hanging down in 3 broken pieces and the air filter cover was completely missing. The engine cover was all cracked up and the front brake cable was torn off. Her legs and knees were bloodied but she was more worried about my reaction to her crashing my bike. She said she had the throttle opened all of the way and misjudged how fast she was going as she quickly approached the entrance to our driveway. She panicked and squeezed the front brake so hard that the cable snapped causing her to hit the curb. The bike jumped the curb and hit a power line pole. Lesson to be learned for those of you whose spouse want to ride your motorized bikes!

Thats why I built my wife a nice calm 31cc honda gx friction drive, yeah, I have to take it slow when she rides with me and Im on my Iron horse/9 speed/GT5R chain doll/SPB shift kitted and expansion piped ride beasty, but I rather that than her getting hurt.
We ride using walkie talkies and all I get in my ear is "SLOW DOWN please and let me catch up"
but we still have fun.
I hope your wife wasn't badly injured.
BBB

I wear my helmet on every ride, and I am convinced that it saved my life in the only wreck I've had--my head hit the ground at about 30 mph before my hands came off the handlebars. Got a little burned, ruined a work shirt and pair of paints (grease, not poo)was able to get out of bed the next day. Consider myself lucky.
I burried a friend a couple of weeks ago who died after a 7 year battle with cancer. When she told me about her diagnosis. She said "I'll die from this, but I WON'T let it take my life away from me---any of us could get hit by a bus any day--let's live while I can." So I wear my helmet, I check my connections, watch where I'm going and RIDE IT LIKE I STOLE IT.

What kind of helmet was it? The bicycle kind is OK, but a heavy helmet that obscures your sight and hearing is dangerous. (Heavy is dangerous because you cant turn your head as fast). You didn´t give any details of why you wrecked. Was it because you didn´t see or hear an oncoming car or did you just do something dorky?