Safety Does it scare you?

I've never ridden a motorcycle, but have ridden bicycles since I was about 3 or 4 years old. At one point in my life I really got into bicycling as a sport but now a days pretty much ride bike paths every once in a while. About 15-20 years ago I got t-boned by a car that cut me off. I came out of the accident without much injury, but it left me a bit shook up. Then about a year later, I was in my car and following a public bus when it swerved to the right catching a moped under it's rear wheel, running over both the rider and his moped. That really shook me up, not a scene I like to think about nor experience again. Ever since, I've been pretty paranoid when it comes to riding a bike on the road. I'm fine on bike paths, but as soon as I get on the road my head is on a swivel and I'm on edge. I've had some other "minor" run ins with cars while riding my bike, but those two were the biggies.

What kind of helmet was it? The bicycle kind is OK, but a heavy helmet that obscures your sight and hearing is dangerous. (Heavy is dangerous because you cant turn your head as fast).

Bicycle helmets are rated for speeds lower than the motored bikes will take you.....be safe and get a DOT motorcycle helmet. There are many that are comfortable....even if it is not totally comfortable, so what. You could die comfortably or live with a little discomfort.

I bought a $50 motorcycle helmet online. I got what I paid for. If you can, get a $80 Bell motorcycle helmet or something for ATV riding (will have lots of venting or at least an open eye area you can use with/without goggles) . It is easy to get used to, and mine seems to make drivers more aware and respectful ( a little but it helps!) . They seem to tolerate waiting to pass a little better, and wait their turn more often at lights or intersections.