Engine Chain Sprocket Clearance

Bike Owner

Local time
4:40 AM
First post here.
This is also my first attempt at going this, it's been fun and it's a lot more than just slapping it together.
I've mocked up the engine and got it running, there was lots of bugs to work out.
Wondering if I need more clearance between the sprocket and engine block. The chain is lined up with the rear sprocket. It does look like it rubs if you look close.

IMG_20180731_181501733_HDR.jpg

Yeah, hit that with a grinder. The chains move around quite a bit, so extra clearance would be good.

Or go full hillbilly and just say "It'll take off what it don't want."

I'd give the clutch hub on other side a few taps to be sure shaft is seated all the way left.

That chain looks off, like the motor is crooked, or something is still off. Put a straight edge on the face of rear sprocket so it’s flat, then line it up that way

That chain looks off, like the motor is crooked, or something is still off. Put a straight edge on the face of rear sprocket so it’s flat, then line it up that way

Sprockets are inline, the chain is straight, even though the camera makes it look off. The camera is looking at from the left side of the chain, it's an optical illusion.

Last edited:
I'd give the clutch hub on other side a few taps to be sure shaft is seated all the way left.
So tap on the shaft from the other side, I'll give a try. I didn't want to tare into the engine, if I didn't need too.

Is there a schematic of the engine floating around the net?

several including an animated one of parts working - put a 17mm socket on nut of clutch hub to hit with hammer so you don't hit the actuator rod sticking out

images.jpg

I don't think this is going to come out animated but there you go.
You can goggle "Manic Mechanic clutch diagram gif" to find the original animated version.

Back