Exhaust bracing, how did you do it?

Is this the same bike inside the house you posted earlier today? If so, it's pretty dark in the area in question. Can you give us a brighter close up shot of the pipe and frame? Maybe we can help you design something without messing up the frame. It sure looks like a nice lookin' ride. I'd be working on mine right now if I could bring it in the house. LOL
Alright, give me a little bit though. The lights weren't on in the living room when I took the picture lol. It's in the office now which has alot better lighting

Here's the bike as it sits now. I also attached a picture of my speedometer mount because I thought it was nice for using the old reflector mount and a hose clamp.

Attachments

• 20240112_224608.jpg
    20240112_224608.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 20240112_224628.jpg
    20240112_224628.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 20240112_224622.jpg
    20240112_224622.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20240112_224640.jpg
    20240112_224640.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 57
That looks nice GW. I was wondering if the carb is on too much of an angle? I'm not sure how much angle is to much.
15 degrees variation on any carb should be enough for all but the steepest of hills.

Doesn't look like he has it completely installed yet, it he kicks the nose up some then the carb will be closer to level and the pipe will be closer to the frame. He needs to make the custom front mount bracket.

15 degrees variation on any carb should be enough for all but the steepest of hills.

Doesn't look like he has it completely installed yet, it he kicks the nose up some then the carb will be closer to level and the pipe will be closer to the frame. He needs to make the custom front mount bracket.
Thanks.

First let me say what a beautiful bike and motor this is. There is no way (and this is my personal opinion only) I would mount the carb at this angle. Does anyone sell an offset adapter to make it level? I feel you are letting that pretty chrome exhaust system dictate the position of the motor. Obviously this was meant for a bike with a straight tube. The missing motor mount will be a custom made piece, I'm sure. I hope the tools at school will be of help. If you make the mount wide enough you can weld a one inch strap on the side which will extend down to the side of the muffler. If you make the mount from aluminum, you'll have to tap two holes in it. Next, drill a hole through the strap into the muffler. Tig a nut onto the muffler and bolt the strap to it. If you don't like the blue discoloration from the weld, then maybe use a big self tapping machine screw. Let me know if you'd like a sketch.

If it were my bike, I would use the front mount and make the carb level. Then custom make the rear mount. I would try and secure the muffler to the frame toward the rear axle. All of the exhaust pipe would need to be fabricated. Maybe use flex pipe or that high heat silacone hose. If you can borrow or rent a conduit bender you could make your own. If you don't like the welds the wrap the whole pipe in heat tape. Remember your goal, this is going to be the best bike you can build. Don't start off with compromises.

I realize Gordy that after reading what I posted above you're a bit overwhelmed. Let's consider making the carb level.
I don't know the size, but is there a 45* copper plumbing elbow that might be inserted between the reed box and carb? If you can't get lucky here, how about going to the auto parts store and looking through their molded heater hoses to find one with the same I.D. Then you could slice off 45* and fab an adapter. This way you could leave the exhaust the way it is. We can discuss a better support if you like this adapter idea better.

I realize Gordy that after reading what I posted above you're a bit overwhelmed. Let's consider making the carb level.
I don't know the size, but is there a 45* copper plumbing elbow that might be inserted between the reed box and carb? If you can't get lucky here, how about going to the auto parts store and looking through their molded heater hoses to find one with the same I.D. Then you could slice off 45* and fab an adapter. This way you could leave the exhaust the way it is. We can discuss a better support if you like this adapter idea better.
That doesn't look like it's the final position to me, we should wait until he gets it mounted before we critique it.

Back