Fourth Build and New Company!

nsxcorvette

Local time
7:28 PM
Oke give me a minute here!... The past couple years has been an interesting experience. It all started a couple years ago when the economy went to crrappp and I had to shut down a few magazines and publishing company I owned. I had to sell everything, the houses, the cars, the motorcycles... EVERYTHING. I moved into an apartment and started riding a peddle powered bicycle. Several months later I opened a design and print company and had enough cash to buy an electric bike so I wouldn't be so sweaty when I met customers. Another several months later and I realized that a car, insurance and gas was a waste of money anyway and decided not to buy another one. I built my first gas powered bicycle about 4 months ago. I had so much fun with it, and had so many people asking where they could get one, that I started a new company custom building them about a month ago. I am on my 4th bike with 3 more orders I'm working on. This site has helped me significantly in the quick learning process on how to build quality bikes. Each one has been getting better and better, and getting more attention. I want to thank the site and I hope this is the beginning to a successful business that saves people money and lets them have a great time commuting! Kinda the moral of the story is that because of a failed business and going from having everything to having nothing, I was pushed into bicycles, which has been awesome thus far. Sort of the lemonade from lemons thing I guess?? Thanks again! My site is www.RedSquirrelCustoms.com, Which is still a work in progress. Please let me know if I need to take the plug out, but I thought it was applicable..

Last edited:
Very good, best wishes on your new venture. My son and I thought about doing the same thing but would you believe as big as the interest in a MB, they didn't want to get up and pull their wallet out. Then I thought about the liability that would be involved...
What engines are you installing? HT's I see on your site.

Last edited:
Thanks! Yeah pulling the wallet out is always a barrier! ha. Yes, All I've done so far are the HT's. mostly 62cc, and one 49cc. I'd do 4 stroke, friction drive, etc, but there just doesn't seem to be much demand here for them. People like the way the ht looks. With the liability thing, I give a packet detailing everything about the bike. What type of maintenance they need to do, what I'm liable for, what they are, etc. I make sure to put that it's the rider's responsibility to check all bolts for tightness before each ride and such. I build them right and check all bolts, but the only thing that would still worry me is a steering bolt coming lose or something, which is why I've been drilling that into each buyers head to check them. Reliability wise, I havn't had any complaints yet, but I do warranty the engines for 90 days and anything else for 30.

Excellent story Corvette,

The economy is definatly putting on hold my dreams also and changing attitudes on where to spend any extra cash in the household.

Ive built 3 bikes so far myself and have numerous people ask me how they work etc etc,and entertained the idea myself on building and selling them to make some side cash.

I took my first two to a flea market that had well over 1000 people stream thru in one day and I thought for sure I was going to be able to sell both bikes, I thought I had them priced right,both were just over $400. All I got for my troubles was a butt load of questions and not one single offer to purchase either bike. Both were 66cc HT builds. I left the market rather discouraged to say the least.

But even with all that happened with that flea market I still am currently building my third MB,its just too much fun for me to stop even if there is not much cash in it for me .

Glad you were able to make things work for you even after "loosing" it all in this down turn economy.

Good luck in your future bike making projects

Hurricane,
I learned pretty quickly that you get an unbelievable amount of people showing interest, but the amount of people willing to actually hand over money is a different story. The price point on mine are between $500-$800, so $400 isn't a problem at all. You may just have to find a different marketing avenue. I've been pushing toward a bit higher end, including college campuses. I also don't just slap a motor on a bike. I start from scratch with a frame, and build it from there. The customer can pick colors and options. But again, I'm just starting out too and am just trying to learn.

So do you still have the 3 you built. Are you using mountain bike frames, road bike or what?

Good luck to you also.

Chainmaker,
Thanks for the support.
CareyWb

Yes, very inspiring. Nice rebound from a desribed spiral. Get a good draft and signature OFF on every unit you sell with regards to liability. I'm sure this has already occured to you.

Kudos and keep on biking

Hurricane,

So do you still have the 3 you built. Are you using mountain bike frames, road bike or what?

Good luck to you also.

Chainmaker,
Thanks for the support.
CareyWb

Yea I still have all 3 ,my current one is a build in progress.Its a cranbury cruiser and is turning out pretty cool. I ordered a 80cc engine but they messed up and sent me a 48cc one so instead of sending it back i used it and its kinda cool but not near the power of the 80cc ones. The other two are mountain bikes with 80cc motors ,have over 600 miles on one but am currently having engine issues. That one will most likely end up as spare parts . lol

Its a fun hobby but I know it will never make a profit for me anyways. Hopefully it goes good for you .

Good luck with it

Thats interesting to know theres that much of a difference on the 80 vs 49. I've been using the 80 (62/69s), but I have a 49 that I'm wanting to put on something. what kind of engine issues are you having at 600 miles? I'm at 3500 miles on my daily rider and just now had the head gasket blow today, Which is still only a 5 minute, $2 dollar repair.

I notice a very big differance in power between a 48cc and 66-80cc motor,but im also using a 34 tooth sprocket thinking it would go faster on my 48cc motor build but i sacraficed hill climbing.But on my cranbury cruiser im going for looks vs anything else,it does not matter if it only goes 10 mph as long as it looks good . lol

But on my next build im going for total comfort and realiabilty, I will purchase a full suspension mountain bike and add nice smooth road tires and attach a Gebe motor set up . I do not like the look of any bike with a rear mounted engine,but I will sacrafice for a bike set up that will give me years of trouble free service and I think from what I have researched that Gebe offers the best for what i want. And thats a super comfy ride that is dependable.

Back