friction roller idea - cheap easy replacement

Discussion in 'Friction Drive' started by Gungatim, Oct 28, 2008.

1. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

I heartily agree. Whenever my adjustment's out, my tire takes a grinding...literally.

<
  2. Dadkins1

Dadkins1 Member

I agree Esteban - most peole run them with the roller mashed down on the tire, on mine -some slippage is allowed - on my set up the motor is on a swing arm controlled by a handle on the top cross bar, the torque of the motor spinning the urethane wheel on the tire keeps the engine pulled "down" on the tire and tends to slip very little. Very infrequently I will have to pull back on the handle to "set" the engine on the tire, it does have quite a bit of friction in the linkage in order to hold the engine up - or down. works great for me so far !

3. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

my little friction THING

I keep adjusted only tight enough so as not to slip -- no more
    tires seem to be holding up real good

if I cross where someone is watering their lawn -- it's a slipping real fast

just ease up and let it go as I ride that THING

4. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

If you look at the bike in my avatar, it is powered by a friction drive 1hp. motor. Motor was made late 1960's-early 70's. The front tires will dry rot before the tread wears out.

6. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

It's been my experience that steel knarled rollers will wear a rubber tire out faster than just pedaling the bike. I prayed for it not to wear out sooner but it hasn't happened yet. That prayer was said 10 years ago and many tires have passed on to the tire heaven in the sky.