From basket case to bike

I found this "project bike" nearby. Gave him $90, put it on the bike rack, and started taking it apart when I got home.
This was an example of what happens when you give a couple monkeys some wrenches. It had foam tape window insulation filling in spaces and holding the tank on. I didn't bother taking pictures. Just took it apart.

The clutch was toasted and pad material was melted to the pressure plate so when I finally figured out how to take it all apart, I also replaced the clutch shaft bearings for good measure. New pads and plate, some careful clutch adjustments, and it works great.

Now for the bike. It was something his buddy found at Walmart. $99.97 is on the price tag stuck to the front reflector. Red and yellow wheels and tires. What a combo that is. Gives it some flair.

3 weeks of build time, many many visits to this site and getting parts, and walla. A bike from a basket.

This 71 year old has wanted a bike like this since seeing a Whizzer in my younger years.
It does 25 - 30 mph, which for this frame is plenty fast enough. What a blast it is to ride.

20200809_154157_copy_1280x720.jpg

Back