Gas vs. Electric

Another option is for you to build a hybrid gas/electric. Best of both worlds. I can ride my current gas bicycle on nonmotorized trails by just not using the motor as mine freewheels without any noticeable parasitic drag other than the weight, which would be the same as someone on my same bike who weighs 20 something more pounds than I do.

The reason I want an electric bike (with good range, don't care about speed, as long as it will do 10 mph) is so I can legally ride it on bike paths, where gas powered bikes are prohibited
I have built a few electrics and love them.
http://kcsbikes.com/KCsBuilds.asp?motor=Electric&Drive=All
Clean, quite, and easy to maintain.
They are a tough gig here in the summer though, heat is simply not friendly to them.

Gears however sure make them better, all of my builds lave at least a 3-speed.

I still believe 30 mph is an unsafe speed for anything ridden in the bike lanes in the city limits. Despite the law, there are a lot of people doing it already.
Well, I can't ride at crosswalk speeds, nor do build anything that can't be safely operated at 30mph.

Bike lanes are a buffer between cars and smaller slower vehicles.
Nice when they are there, but not necessary, I have every right to an entire lane with or without any motor help.

30mph mixes quote well with road traffic, 19mph on a 35mph road is what I find dangerous.

Gas is better. I can dust electric bikes and travel about 60 miles without stopping. Electric will always suck until battery technology gets better.

Back